1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Solution to your drought problems!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Aug 26, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

We have had a great year for mowing here in Evansville, IN lawns look great plenty of water, but for everyone who is hurting due to drought you need to start pushing Lawn Areation hard and not just to your own customers. You would be amazed how much you can trun doing lawn areations.
  2. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

And what do I tell them the reason is that their lawn should be aereated? Is this good for the grass? What it really needs is water, isn't it? Is this aereation done in anticipation of rain?

I mean these as legitimate questions now, because I would really like to know, having suffered through quite a drought here this Summer. We have gotten just enough rain the past 3 weeks to get us going again, but lost some grass for good that rain( or aereation) just can't bring back.

CHEVYCRAIG LawnSite Member

Just enjoy drinking beer and the time off!
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

you must be part time, with a full time job on the side. ;)

YEP! Startinn to get burnt

Still at my side job,Started at 11:00 this morning get done at 3:00 guss what I'm dooing tomorrow?
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately though, during drought conditions, that is the worst time to aerate. One, the ground is going to be too hard for the aerator to penetrate, and two, without water, the turf cannot heal itself after the aerating process has been completed.

I think what you are trying to say is sell the idea of aerating beforehand in case of a possible drought?
  8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

The original post was seeking a professional reply.

:hammerhead: for a lame response like the one you posted. :hammerhead:
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Aerating does no good in a drought. Around here the ground is rock hard during dry weather anyway. You could go around in the middle of the night with a huge cannister of water and spray your customers lawns. I have thought of doing that:)
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It hasnt been wet enough here in 2 years to aerate, if something doesnt change in a few weeks Im going to miss a 2nd year of aerations