Some advice is needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Apr 8, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i am doing a front and side yard only around the corner from my house. today the customer walked up and was talking to me about paying me to edge a yard on a main street into the neighborhood. this is an eyesore and i knew what she was talking about before she said it. she is willing to pay me to go edge it WHEN THE OWNER'S AREN'T HOME. they would in no way know who did it unless someone told them. i told her i'd think about it but then decided I could probably be arrested for criminal tresspassing on their property without their permission. Plus if a neighbor saw me doing this and found out it was me, I figure I could somehow wind up with a bad name.

when i say it's an eyesore, i seriously mean i don't think it's EVER been edged. we've watched it for 3 years now and the bermuda has completely gone over the curb. there is no visible sign of conctrete except for some of the sidewalk. almost looks like a big puffy island of grass.

what would you guys do?

2. LAWnENFORCER

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

If I were you I would talk to the owner of the "eye sore". Tell her that you would like to edge her yard w/out charging her. If she/he asked why tell them the truth. People are complaining.

If they agree, youre still getting paid and someone is actually getting "SOMETHING FOR NOTHING". Who knows you may even be able to get another account.

Just what I would do!

KEVIN

KB LAWN SERVICE
    CENTRAL TX

3. MikeLT1Z28

good idea LE. that's why i asked! didn't think about it that way. may leave them a card and a note to call me and explain the situation. i will not tell them who has complained though, don't want ill will among neighbors. if i can get my cam charged i'll take before and after pics. 65hoss has been it before.

i'd like to pic them up as an account because it's a nice looking house and the yard actually looks like it's sprayed regularly, just not edged or trimmed.

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I'd do, leave your card and a brief note, hopefully you'll pick em up as a regular customer.

Hank

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

tell your customer to leave a note at the house explaining that this service has been pre-paid and to contact you for scheduling when service is to be performed. They can leave thier name or be annonimous if they want. You dont want to be the messinger if they take it bad. Maybe your lawn philanthropist can pay someone to do my lawn too!!!

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tell them you'd love to service their property, as it has such great potential! Let them know that if you can cut it just once, for the regular going price, you'd be happy to throw in a edging and curb sweep. This, of course, will already be set up with the neibor. Granted, the neighbor is PROBably only willing to pay for the curb, not the drive and walks, but so what. They can't be that bad, and besides, this may be a future client. I would NOT, however, tell this person that "people have been complaining". This just give such negative connotation, and also creates an embarrasment to this homeowner. This is not the message you want to convey for sales. Now, even if you said something like (if you happened to get on the subject) "Yes, we were discussing how nice that would look with a fresh manicured edge on there. It just does so much for the property - especially a nice house like yours." See the difference? Always be positive! You wouldn't buy a car from a salesman that comes out onto the lot, and says something to you like. "Wow! By the looks of THAT piece of junk, you look like YOU could really use a new car!" :p

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I like what the other posters have said. That would be the best way I think.

If the home owner refuses to do any thing about it, either suggest to the neighbor to call the city and lodge a complaint, or do it your self. But don't tell who you are.
    I did that once a couple of years ago, on another contractor that I knew was applying pesticide without a license. He got a letter from the city and never did any thing about it. And neither did they do any thing to him, and he kept right on spraying.

Here the city is real picky about the weeds and grass getting too long.

8. MikeLT1Z28

good info runner, i take it you used to work in sales? i was going to address the matter today but it's raining here so i'll have to wait another day or two.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, actually, no. I was always told that was my niche. My mother always wanted me to go into real estate, as she always told me I could sell an icebox to an eskimo. Anyway, after about 20 years of dealing with people in this business, you learn alot of little "should haves" and "shouldn't haves".