1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Some advice please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Poncho25, May 8, 2007.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a home owner stop me today while on my lawn route, he stated his sprinklers were not working right, that they seemed to be really low on pressure. So I am thinking a head is broken somewhere, so I find a few broken heads on Dif zones but not on the one that has low pressure. From what I saw without spending to much time, all the heads are there just really bad pressure. I was thinking if he calls me out to trouble shoot this to dig up around the heads to see if there is a break under ground in a pipe, but what other way is there to detect a loss of pressure like this.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say frozen/cracked pipes. But then saw you were in Florida. Probably either a valve not opening completely, or a broken riser leading into a head. What's the prize for the first one who guesses it right?
  3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is not the zone valve, run that zone for a while. If you do not see a wet mushy spot then you might have a rock or some other debris causing a partial blockage.

Could be all the heads on that zone have "schmootz" in their screens. Didn't someone post a pic of a head with a bunch of bugs blocking it up inside?
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Without being there and systematically going through the system from Point A to Point Z we'd all just be guessing.
  5. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

If the heads are leaking from the seals while trying to pop up then pull a few to the top and if it suddenly starts spraying with better pressure you've got a lawn genie/richdel/safe-t-lawn knockoff/irritrol 205.
  6. Remote Pigtails

That's a valve.
  7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

homeowner opened up system himself... didn't open a gate valve enough
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't that what we do when anybody else asks a question here about why something doesn't work?
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If they are spray heads, you could turn the screw on the nozzle to turn off the water from flowing out of the heads. thus forcing more water to possible leak. If they are rotating heads, this usually won't work unless the heads have a flow stop adjustment on top - Hunter I-20, Rainbird 5004+. You could dig up the rotor heads and cap them off. Once again forcing water to the possible leak. If it's one zone, I still say a bad valve (diaphragm), or busted cut-off riser.

Hey Purp, if I get it right, how about you send me some Otter Pops. Can't seem to find them anymore. are they still produced?
  10. Remote Pigtails

That's a lot of work Dana. I'd try my suggestion first. Pull em up if they seal and the pressure jumps it's a 205 valve. If they don't then it's the Dana approach.