some advice please.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by aabbeelljr, Feb 15, 2003.

1. aabbeelljr

aabbeelljr LawnSite Member
    from texas

Hello,I wanted to know exactly how hard it is to start a lawncare business, and how to go about starting one,a long w/time ,money,and paper work involed. Any advice would be helpful.

P.S. what do u guys do about taxes??

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Way too broad of a question. It will be hard gettin replies to help you.

Use the search button at the top of the page to get a general idea of all that's involved. Then when you have a specific question, fire away.

Or maybe answer a few questions.

What type of lawn care business do you want to run?
    What type of potential customers will you be marketing to?
    Small residential accounts, high end residentals that have big acreage, or are you going to go after commercial accounts?
    (commercial accounts will be hard to get the first year.)
    Once you answer this question, you will have a better idea of what type of equipment you will need to purchase. Start off buying commercial grade equipment if you can afford it. Buying homeowner's equipment won't last long enough, and you'll end up spending more money to get it fixed or replaced.

How much money do you have to start this business?

Do you have any experience working in the green industry? Are you physically capable to withstand the heat and long hours?

How much thought have you put into starting a lawn care business?
  3. aabbeelljr

aabbeelljr LawnSite Member
    from texas

I have a little over 1,000 to start with, and i want to start small,with small/average residential accounts.I will go after commercial accounts later after i establish a little more.

The kind of experience i have is basic knowledge of cutting,trimming,edging.etc...I need a little more knowledge on the paper work,and of course the tax stuff.

As for the labor i'm pretty sure i can handle it , since i've done alot of labor intensive work in my life.And im not afraid of getting my hands dirty either.

I want to start out with commercial equipment, i just dont think i will be able to afford it at first. Even though everyone says to do so. I will just have to look around to see if i can buy it used and for a good deal.

And finally i have been thinking of doing this for about 3 months now, and i'm excited to start soon. Ready to reap some rewards.
    I 'm confident that i can do as good as a job as the effort i put into it. And i want to get as much knowledge as i can about the biz and be prepared before i jump in.

thanks, hopefully this helps you to help me.
  4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on your enthusiasm. We have all been in your shoes. It is not hard to start cutting lawns. It is very difficult to establish a profitable legitimate grounds care business. You are fortunate to have found this board. Continue to search and read. The mistakes are all here, hopefully the board will help you avoid some of them. As for your current situation, you may want to find a small LCO and go to work for him for a season. There is no substitute for the experience you will gain. Commercial grounds care is about as much like cutting your lawn as shaving is to brain surgery. That may be overstated, but give it a season.