some advice please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fireman D, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

I am about to core areate my yard and reseed for the fall. I was wanting some suggestions on what type seed and fertilizer I should use for my lawn. It is fescue with alot of bermuda working in (I HATE that stuff). I usually seed with KY31 and annual rye and put down 15-15-15 fert. If anyone knows something better to do please help. Thanks!

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i asee that you are in nashville which i think is in the same zone im in . first off, i think its to late to kill the burmuda with roundup. but that is what you need to do if you dont want your entire yard to be burmuda grass. as you well know it is very invasive and will stop at nothing except dense shade. if your neighbors have it you will need to maintain a constant vigil to assure that it wont reinvade your yard. fucilate, i think i spelled i right, will suppress burmuda grass. golf courses use it all the time. i think you have to be licenced to apply it though. number two, the annual rye is a bad idea to use with the k31 because the rye germinates faster and will be in competition with with k31 at least at the first of spring. if you are in the transition zone, which i think you are, plantation turf type fescue is rated #1 for this area. pennington makes it i think.i hope i was some help to you.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

p.s. 15-15-15 is o.k. fro the garden, but you need to use a good quality starter fertilizer for best results.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have had good luck just using the Confederate Blend Tall Fescue seed. The fert that i use in fall is 16-4-8.