some advise from the pros

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by flying_a, Sep 12, 2007.

1. flying_a

flying_a LawnSite Member

I was out doing a customers yard when she asked me to give her a price quote on some landscaping on the grass island and the area going to the front door. I was thinking red mulch, and planting some Ixora. I apologize for the bad picture, used what I had available at the time. What would you do? She has a $500 budget. the area is around 65 square ft.

island.jpg

2. Indatreez

Indatreez LawnSite Member

maybe rip out grass and put pea gravel or sum sort of gravel rock.? mulch is temp, rock is long term.
    anybody else got ideas.?

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Rock would be a bad idea unless there is plant material with it.

$500.......that sucks. Go to a nursery, show them the picture and pick out some evergreens and a few flowering something (I'm not in your zone).

Sounds like she's a haggler with a $500 budget. Price the job to take care of yourself at $600. Tell her $650 and come to $600 to close. Go in detail with the plants, show pics and sound excited about what ideas you have and you'll get the extra $100.

$500 just isn't much budget, granted its a small space but know your overhead, if you don't, before comitment so that you make money.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

looking at nothing up by the door of the house, what ever you do will stick out like a sore thumb. Unfortuneatly 5 bills won't leave you much after materials.

anything you put in that island will find itself all over the driveway and walkway unless you put in curbing (and there goes the budget). Red mulch is used to draw attention, I don't think this is the best idea for this location.

you guys have that decomposed granit down there right? I would see about using that and adding 3 one man boulders that have some color to them (just make sure a car door won't open up on them). then get a flat of annuals that can take the heat, but first make sure she will water them. Judging by the lawn I would say thats a no (could be water restriction also?)

ooh, how 'bout a lawn nome or pink flamingo:laugh:

5. Grn Mtn

I just looked up your plant suggestion and that doesn't seem to be the right choice given the size of the location you want to put it in.

Just go to your local nursery with that picture and ask at the help desk what would work.

ixoracoccinea01.jpg

6. flying_a

flying_a LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. Yea she didnt look like the watering type, maybe something native to south Texas will work out better. I am going to look into decomposed granite. Any other suggestions?

7. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

this probably sounds stupid to some but your nurseries have "help desks"?
    wtf? any true professional should know their zone and suitable plant material.

no offense grn mtn, not bashing you or anything. its just that none of the nurseries here have help desks so this sounds kinda strange

8. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

How about Mondo grass, Mexican Heather, or Daylilies? For your area you will need to build a raised bed (tip sheet) http://ktrh.com/pages/gardenline_newsletter/GardenTalk_03-11-04.htm

You need to get a reference book for some help. Here's a couple of suggestions: Plants for Texas, written by Howard Garrett or Native texas Plants, written by Sally & Andy Wasowski for starters. I've got them, along with several others and I'm not even in the "Green Industry".

9. Grn Mtn

just plain ignorance thinking you know everything about all the plants in the nursery:nono:

yes my local nursery has a help desk(probably because they are the largest retail/wholesale nursery in western ny)- I mentioned it because it sounded like the poster could use a little guidance, and who better than the people growing and selling. Hell, even the people at the help desk still have to look things up in a reference book sometimes.

oh yea, zone 5-6 here, just depends on the lake.

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd run daylilly's and have them follow the pattern of the area. I'd use a dark color mulch (I don't know what the crushed granite is). I'd do the same beside the walkway too. The hardest part is going to bee digging up the exisiting sod so you can use the drive way and walkway as a border for your mulch. It won't take alot of mulch, and day lilly's are cheap like $2 each. You could have less then $100 in material and the rest is labor & hauling off fee. It's a simple job that wouldn't take but a few hours. If the budget was better I could do more but, it is what it is.