Some answers about using old

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Soupy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I was searching through some threads last night about collecting bad debt. Well during the search I found many questions about using old Here is the answerer's they gave me after emailing them. I tried to cover most questions I found on here. Here is their response.

Yes. You can legally report any legitimate debt to the credit bureaus.
    - No. You are not required to have a signed contract. Although one is helpful, an NSF check or an invoice for legitimate services performed is sufficient.
    - The information is updated to the credit bureaus when you update their account through us, on You'll have the choice to mark the account as paid or to delete it entirely from the credit bureaus.
    - The bare minimum information needed is name, address, account balance, and date of delinquency (when the balance owed became past due)
    - NCOA means National Change of Address. If you know they recently moved and do not have a current address for the debtor, NCOA will attempt to find a new address.
    - The age of the debt varies in a states. We advise contacting your local small claims court - an advisor there should be able to tell you how old of a debt you can file a small clams on. That would be the same for attempting to collect it.
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Oh... here is the email I sent them. I must give them credit for answering in less then 24 hours especially since a holiday.

Hi, I am interested in trying your service. I have a few questions. I own a sole proprietor lawn service. If I order your packages can I legally have non payers reported to the credit bureaus? Do I have to have a signed agreement (I have one for some, but not all)? Also, if I report to credit bureau how is the info updated or removed after payment is received? What information do I have to provide other then name, address, and account balance? If I use NCOA do I need additional information? last question, how old can the debt be?