Some Clarification Is Due

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Feb 18, 2002.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Recently, I posted a thread referencing what I thought was a lot of ego boosting and bickering among the 6000 + members of LS.

The reason I posted this thread was simple. I come from what most of you would consider "Corporate America". For many years, I was the Director or Training for HERC (Hertz Equipment Rental Corp.) yup, a division of Hertz Rent A Car (their largest). Some of you may have seen their equipment, trucks, trailers, and so on...they're a very big company across the US and Europe as well.

I left Hertz in '94 for medical reasons. I had throat cancer, survived with radiation and surgery, and I am now a laryngectomee(no vocal cords).

My point is I have been in the lawncare and landscaping business since I left Hertz now for about 8 years. I enjoy this work more than when I was a "stuffed shirt" and had a staff of 19 full-time people. I never really had a place like LS to go to "talk" with other professionals about the "business".

I do now (have been since last August) with you people. I guess what I'm trying to say is, we can all learn from one another no matter what our education is, read from the many threads and posts we all visit, and probably should stop and think now and then am I'm sounding like I'm a "know-it-all".

I wish everyone a banner year in 2002.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on beating the cancer! I know I just learned something from reading your post.

Eric

3. Rodfather,
    Somtime the yungin's forget their place(which speaks about this country sometimes) and type before they think. You just got to take everything with grain of salt.

John

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

yes congrats on beating the cancer, u are very lucky

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So true John.

Someone else said on the other thread that they don't frequent here as much because they find that there is bickering here.

It's pretty hard to not have bickering with this site being so large and growing each day.
    Just tonight we broke our record which was back in October for the most users online at one time(107). Right now we are at 110. ;)

For the number of members we have, I think that this site runs fairly smoothly. Nothing in life, even the good stuff, is glitch free ;)

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I lost my mother to cancer at a young age. Sure glad to know that todays treatments are much better,so glad you beat that awful disease. Marks Mowing Service.....Jodi im with you for so many members Lawnsite is running very smooth.

7. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

rod
    congrats on beating the cancer, and glad to see your doing something you love and helping america look a little better day in and day out. Like all of on this site.
    everyone i think needs to take a chill pill, because i think if we all stood back and looked at the end result we will find it really is algood in the end!!
    peace
    bryan

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

good to have u here brother.i can see why it would be especially
    nice for u.good luck and will be looking for your post. later now

9. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

Glad your still with us. Thats a tough thing to go through. Oh and a banner year to you and your family to. Lets all have a great season!!!!!:)

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnsite is a great tool for us to use and believe it or not there have been little wars that broke out even at the beginning of Lawnsite. I credit Chuck and the Moderators for doing a fantastic job from the start to now.

Someone made the comparison to Lawnsite being our breakroom and in some respects that is true. What many don't realize is that it really isn't a breakroom because so many people are involved or can "VIEW" a conversation. It is easy to get in a pi$$in match with someone and have it carry on and on. There are some people who truly are unhappy and it is extremely easy for a faceless person to try and spread that unhappiness by text.

After a while you come to see who is here to help and who isn't. Hopefully the people who are looking in and not posting will see this also.

Either way, something is going right here as I have watched the site get bigger and bigger. Post by the Golden Rule and it is OK to disagree but use that rule before you push "SUBMIT REPLY"

Good post. My best wishes to you Rod, you have to be a strong person.