1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Some customers drive me crazy.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Mar 25, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Last week I did a 3 acre river front home that was worth about $1Mil. The guy asked me to rake the leaves out the hedges(300 ft. worth), rake all the pine needles and pine cones out from the pine trees(10 or so trees), and go over the grass with the ZTR and bagger attachment. Myself and a helper were there from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Thats 8.5 hours. With the two of us that comes out to $29 an hour(I bid it at $500). When we left there we 45 of the real big trash bags loaded on the trailer and truck with tall box sides. The place looked great and the guy said we did such a good job that he would like to use me for weekly mowing and he even tipped me $25. Today the guys wife calls and leaves a voicemail saying I did the worst job she has ever seen and that had gotten spring cleanups done in past years for only $250 and there was 5 guys working there for 10-11 hours. Thats $50 for all day for all five guys. Plus gas, dump fees, etc. hasn't been deducted. What a beotch.
  2. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

did u cash the check?
  3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

as long as you're polite, tell that her husband said he liked it, and she should go away. LOL dont say that, but just ask what she didnt like about it and re-assure her that it was done right
  4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Ask her why she didn't have the other company do it again this year. I'm sure they were too busy watching Jerry Springer when the phone rang or took new jobs?

I hear about the great deal the previous company gave all the time. It's all BS and part of a game with these people.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

And they wonder why I don't do cleanups.

They're more fatiguing, they don't particularly pay any better than mowing/maintenance (about half in this case!) , much more potential to get stiffed, much harder to smooth work-flow, more complaint potential, etc, etc.

Cleanups are work for employees. Let them suffer.

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Working with the public can blow at times...
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would HAVE to call this broad back and ask. So, you had these guys come in, and they all worked for 5 bucks an hour, and then hauled out all the material, huh?"
    I would then say "Yeah, right"......Followed by the. "Where are THEY, then?"

I would then tell the guy that as well as I like him, and as cool as he seems, that I will NOT work under circumstances where I am insulted, and I would wish hi all the best in the future.
    He will then realize how small his balls probably really are, and maybe be one more step toward making a change for himself.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you definately have a decision to make here ... it sounds like it may not be worth the hassle of putting up with her "peculiarities" ... but it's up to you !!
  9. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I will not be going back to mow even if he bags. They did get more than their moneys worth out of me. I spent $50 getting to, at, around and from there in gas. I spent another $20 in dump fees getting rid of their crap. I think I'll stick with 1/4 to 1 acre properties. Easier to bid, get done faster, etc. On a daily basis I hit about 4 places that are 1/4 and 1/3 acre lots. Between power raking, aerating, sidewalk edging, etc. I pull in about $600+ per day solo. That place was a waste of my time and it showed me how people with big money act. Lots of people making less than $50K a year have paid me well and not complained ever.
  10. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

Sounds like my wife. I went to finalize the decals for my new enclosed trailer this morning. I got a copy of the final after it was photoshop'ed on pics of my trailer. I paid the 450, told them it looked great, which it did. Came home and my wife was pissed they left out some wording, which later I though wasn't needed right now. Guy is happy, wife isn't. I know how you AND the customer feels. I live it everyday.:cry: