1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Some days your just more thankful!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B2E, Jul 17, 2006.

1. B2E

B2E LawnSite Member
    from VA.

Weed eating a yard this afternoon, came around the right side of a large tree looking around for yellow jackets (got into 2 ground nests in this yard last week) swung the weed eater to the left and there it was, about 18" from my right foot coiled up ready to go. Rattlesnake! I stepped back a bit, put the tree between me and him, let out about 6 -8 inches additional string. It was then introduced to the weed eater at WOT. It did not fare very well.
    If that was not enough when I started mowing I got a 18"+- copper head with the ZTR. Finished this yard and called it a day before I got ran over by a steam ship or train in someones yard.

Just keep it in mind folks, like the old Sarge on Hill Street Blues used to tell the officers each day. "Lets be careful out there!"

I believe the main reason I did not get bit, (with an exception for divine intervention) it had recently eaten. Had a large swollen spot about mid way down.

By the way it was 38" long

BESTYARDS LawnSite Member

More Thankful:
    Last spring, my son and I were on a clean up job. I turned over a large limb on the ground and there he was a big, I mean a big copperhead. Inches away from my hand. Needless to say, I got out of there quick. Gave him the ditch bank blade and made 4 in 1. A little later our clean up activity stirred another out of his hiding place and we again gave him the blade. Next day, another. Good thing it was spring, a little cool and they were not their usual mobile selves. Thank God for everything.

3. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Man that's wild! Glad you're okay. Lol at the boat and train though!
  4. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

Back when I was mowing as a teen in Benton I stepped about 4 feet from a copperhead. It got mulched.:cool2:

Another incident happened that same year. I ran my mower by a tree that was rotten at the bottom with a hollowed place. About that time it felt like someone lit a torch on my leg. I looked down and there were 4-5 wasps stinging the crap out of me. I danced, jumped and ran. Boy did that hurt. 7 stings all within inches of each other.
  5. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

a good snake is a dead snake :clapping: