Some Fun

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green in Idaho, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Here's something that will be fun!

Take your weeking gross revenue for mowing and divide it by your inches of mowing swath. Let's compare....

For example
    If you mow for $2,400/week with a 21" = 114.20
    If you mow for 2,400/ with a 48"er = 50.
    If you mow $6,000/week with (1) 48" and (1) 21" = 6,000/69"= 86.96

It means almost NOTHING but it might be interesting to see where people fall. Either submit all three #'s or just the result.
  2. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

Looks like you are a numbers person too. I think that in this instance you would want this # to be as low as possile meaning that you are getting the most out of your equipment. If you are making the 2400 with the 21, just think what you could do with a you see my point. This may spark something in some of the members/views to upgrade their equipment as to work smarter not harder....Just my thought...
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What exacxtly does this number mean though??? Is this 114.2 per square inch??? Per pass??? I think you also need to take into account amount mowed also somehow???:confused:
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't get it either:confused: Plus thats the wrong dollar amount to use in the 21" example.
  5. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

16 res lawns @ $30 - $480 x 5= $2,400.

These are small res lawns so it would VERY practical to use 21".

Clewsew I was thinking a higher # is better. The ratio is dollars per inch of swath.

If I use my 21 to make 2,400 and you have to use a 48 to do the twice in money, are we operating comparably?

If my 21" earns $2,400 and your 48" also earns $2,400 who is getting more revenue per inch of mowing width? More importantly one would want to do that same thing on their net profit. If my 21 produces the same net profit as your 48" in the same amount of time.... then what? Whether that's realistic or not is not the point here.

Does it mean anything? No! There's more info necessary to use it for anything.

But it might be food for thought, again if I use less swath to make the same profit...????

Hey, those are the kind of things I think about when I'm having _____. :D

And I'm just throwing it out here.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think what you are leaving out which is making it confusing is the total amount of turf. I can mow 10K with my 48" and make 2400$, and you can mow 10 acres with your 21" and make 2400$. So you have to say assuming the 48" is mowing the same amoiunt of turf as the 21".
  7. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

Sorry guys for not clarifing. What I was meaning is that if all you made was 2400 with the 21 and that took up all your time, you could really do the same amount of money while requiring less time with a larger mower provided it was not overkill for the lawn...freeing up more time to find more accounts. Ultimately yes, the higher the number the more utilized the equipment is, but if that number is too high, it might be an indication that it may be time to look for a more productive piece of equipment.

I heard a man say once: "Would you rather make more money per sell, or more money period?" So I guess that is what I am saying. It might spark some thought to consider upgrades to be more productive. It may look like you are making a killing with the higer $ per inch of the 21, but it may be costing you money in the long run. Hope that helps...
  8. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

very interesting Clewsew
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Productivity is the relationship between "input & output"

From me this is "time & income"

I'd have to say you must relate this number game with a coefficient of time also to try n reach some sort of "Productivity"

After all .... we are selling Time aren't we ??
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic