1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Some good advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jakegrass87, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jakegrass87

jakegrass87 LawnSite Member

Recently I was planning on starting my business with a friend. But i read over and over again on this site that that was a bad idea. And i thought about it and not only will it ruin our friendship but if u split it 50/50 then that is less money that the company recieves. I can pay someone 8 bucks an hour to do what would have been 20 bucks hr. average to split 50/50.
    assuming u work 8 hour days that is $96 dollars a day extra, wasted for the same amount of work. 6 days a week is $576. $2304 a month. That is wasted money that my company will need. Thanks guys for the post.
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Have you told your friend yet. If so, has it affected your friendship yet?
    just curious.

also, determins is spelled determines in your signature
  3. jakegrass87

yes, that is the joke. It is ment to make u want an education. that is why it is spelled wrong. Haha nay j/k im just a dumbass i will fix it.
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Call me ignorant, but "determines" is the proper spelling.
  5. jakegrass87

yes i fixed it already it used to be determins
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Partnerships=bad!!! lol...simple as that. Ide even advise against hiring any friends to work for/with you as well. It can go bad fast!! I had a friend working for me this past fall, most of the time it was fine, but some days he would just drag a** and i didn't want to say anything because of the whole friendship deal. Overall, he was a huge help this past fall, but, ide never do it again with such a close friend.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I have made that mistake to if I would stop and talk with customer he would come over and talk with us also. I told him I was paying him to work not talk and he told me, well I thought you were taking a break so I thought I would take one to. Hiring a friend is not a good idea they will take advantage of the friendship as where an employee will not.
  8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Partnerships are usually not a good thing. However, there are times when a partnership is a great thing. How would the company benefit from a partnership? How would each partner benefit from a partnership? You can not look at it as less money for the company, because it is the same amount of money for the company, but less for an individual. However, if you have a 50/50 partnership that would also mean that each partner is putting up 50% of the starting capital, and 50% of the work, and assuming 50% of risk and liabilities. BUT, that is not how it always is structured or how it really works out. My dad and his two brothers had a three way partnership for many years 40+ that worked out great. My wife and I are part owners of our own company and it works out well for us.

If you can do it on your own (you have the resources and skill set to do it yourself), by all means do it on your own. Save yourself the headaches of a partnership.
  9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I would steer away from being in business with a friend. To many things can and usually will go wrong. Someone will think there getting the short end of the stick one day and then all the trouble will hit.
  10. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

There are good and bad things about a partnership. There can definitly be some hard feelings over things, like if one thinks they are doing more work then the other. what equipment to buy stuff like that. On the other hand i use to have a parnter and it was nice because all the purchases were split 50/50 and so was the work overall. She did the bookwork and mowing. I did the maintenance on the equipment, bid jobs and mowed. It was nice knowing you could be away doing something else and not have to watch over your shoulder all the time. The thing you mentioned about hiring someone for $8/hr is may not get a good worker for that and the probably wont do as good as job as you or if you had a partner would do. Then you said it would cost you $96 a day, i am guessing you added in workers comp. and the taxes you have to match. Dont get me wrong I'm not saying not to hire anyone or not to have a partner, everything has its good points and bad points i was just trying to give you some of both. Last winter I bought out my partner so i had to hire someone to help to keep all the accounts I had. So i have seen both sides of it. good luck with whatever you decide.