some help with this one guys!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sheshovel, May 28, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Ok this is a bad homeowner set-up for sprinklers on a hill,no backflo device..I want to do 2 things with it.
    #1.Make it safe
    #2.bring it up so a bckflw will be effective,valve top just above soil line rest is buried....freeze depth here 12 to 18"spec
    because I'm converting it from sprinklers to drip on the other side of driveway.Installing a new valve,filter,water pressure reg for drip hook-up. Any advice on where I should start and other things,I know how high I have to go above for bkflow
  2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey sheshovel-------

Might have to use a reduced pressure principle device, a.k.a. RP, RPZ.

What do local codes allow/require?

I don't think a pressure vaccum breaker will cut it, if the sprinkler valve and heads are higher than the place where the system is connected. The PVB's are not rated for back pressure. Might depend on elevation.

Double checks are rated for back pressure, but in some areas are not allowed.

See ya---kerdog
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If double checks are allowed (they are, and are preffered here), I would go that route.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

This may call for an RPZ, even if the codes would allow for a double check. The reason would be that some drip filters contain an agent to inhibit root growth into the drip pipe. That root-inhibitor might (if not today, in the future) make for a toxic backflow condition. From a hose bib, the flow would be small enough to let you use a half-inch RPZ and save a few bucks.
  5. sheshovel

This is what I thought I would do,is it going to be right?Thanks guys
  6. I would love to help you...anyone else having troubles with the graphics? Sheshovel, how about a digi pic?
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The graphic does hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell the perspective :D
  8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Well, the graphic where you state you are 18" above highest output makes it look good to me. I'm sure I don't follow all you are trying to do. Make sure a PVB is acceptable for this application. If backflow is strict the warning about using an RPZ may be very good advice.
    Good luck either way.
  9. sheshovel

OK will try to take one after weekend is over I guess.What I want to do is to cut out the valve thats in black,run a new line up high enough to get a ball valve on the line and high enough for the backflow device to be effective..In RED... install a BFLdevice,new valve,water press reg,filter for a drip set up...then re- attach it to the line under the driveway to the hill.And I will run the drip from hook-up on other side .Above ground drip system on hill below. w/shrubblers and micro sprays.
  10. sheshovel

ok this is what I did with this