Some horticulture education?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MindI, Mar 20, 2006.

1. MindI

MindI LawnSite Member

I am looking to start up a business next year (2007) and was wondering would anybody recommend getting a certificate or associates degree in horticulture from the local community college? My community college seems to have some good classes that not only teach you about horticulture but also about the local market in all of its facets. Also the local votech school offers horticulture courses. Have any of you taken classes? Would you recommend it? Any thoughts on vo-tech versus community college?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Higher education is always an advantage. You'll be doing yourself a favor by pursuing it.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I highly recommend as much education as you can get for this biz

4. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I go to the community college here, it has helped alot

5. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

I don't think they teach you to dig holes in school.
    Get some jobs. small garden maybe 2 shrubs and a few perrens. then get a colorful few books and learn everthing you can about what you installed.

Every next year will be something to look forward to and expect.

Holy Schnikeys, you just learned Hort.

6. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Deffinetly go for the edjucation. You don't necessarily have to go for a degree, however it would be best. Many college extension programs have many certificate programs you can get as well for a start. Try to find certificate programs that will transfer into college credits if you decide to pursue a degree.