some ideas please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by worx, Feb 24, 2009.

1. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in the patio area. I need some ideas for lighting the brick benches and columns. I am trying to consider hiding the wire with whichever technique I use. I thought of using something like Unique's Endeavor at the corner of the patio,.....but not sure. Thanks for the ideas.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Chase your wire up through the far gutter at the end of the flower bed. Extend the gutter down to the ground if necessary to conceal the wire. Drill through the top back side of the rain gutter into the soffit cavity and run your wire and mount these directly over the benches with some BABs with spread lenses. Hevi lite HL-320
    Don't forget to seal your holes in the gutter back up with a watertight epoxy.

227_hl320%20silver.jpg

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Steve ,

whats behind the soffit facing ? Is there ply or just 1x4 ? I m thinking a recessed fixture above the pillars and it will provide some residual light for the benches.

4. worx

Billy I'm not sure, but I would bet a 1x4 minimum.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Sometimes soffit mounted recessed fixtures (pot lights) are your friend. Great lighting doesn't always have to be LV lighting and sometimes it is actually more cost effective to hire in an electrician and install some deep regressed (glare free) pot lights where you need them. You can still use all the low wattage lamps you usually rely on and are left with hidden infrastructure.

Regards.

6. worx

James this is true, but I look at this as a challenge. I am trying to come up with some creative ways to attack this, without fabbing a junk pile of gizmo parts to get the design I want. I am trying to hone my "critical thinking skills", and trust me this is easier said than done..........for me.

7. Lite4

Billy,
    Do they make retrofit cans that are that shallow to fit in that soffit? That was my first thought as well, those soffits might be deep enough to accept a can. The only problem I see with down lighting in front of the posts is that big downspout on the end one. I would imagine it could be rerouted to the side though.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Just so you know, Contrast Lighting (some of the nicest trims in the market) make a compact recessed, retrofit 'can' that can be specified as an integral 120V pot OR it can be delivered as a remotely powered can.

http://www.contrastlighting.com/en/pdf/REM3000.pdf (REM-J3000C)

It is only requires 3 1/8" of depth for installation. I am pretty sure there is no other recessed can on the market that fits in a more shallow space than that!

This way you can use hidden infrastructure, powered remotely by your LV transformer, all the while honing your art and improving your craft. :)

9. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

James,
    To clarify, the fixtures you mentioned use a 12v MR16 lamp right. These would be an alternative to Eddie's "Lightolier"? I am guessing the difference between the "Contrast" and the Lightolier is the size. Are the "Contrast" fixtures expensive?

I am wondering about expense because I am trying to break in with some builders. Lets face it the "Lightolier" is way too expensive for builders to consider at least in my market.
    ~Ned

10. Lite4

Nice! Thanks for the link James. I copied it to my favorites for reference when I need one. I appreciate you posting it.