Some information about an old Gravely Walk Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nathannc, Dec 24, 2007.

1. nathannc

nathannc LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at an old Gravely Super Convertible Mower. I am looking at it to do some brush cutting around the farm and have read on this forum that these were the best, much better than the DR Brush Cutters. I have got to say though, they do look rather unwieldly.

Can someone who is experienced with these give me an idea about the age of this mower, hp, (I think 12) or any other information that I should look for as far as price and mechanical problems other than the obvious? Thanks

0e11_12.jpg

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a 12 HP version and a 16 HP version today for mowing and chopping. They are the later Kohler powered ones though. Those are 7.6HP. They are not unwieldy. And they will cut more than most would think. They do require the operator to think so as to make it do the work instead of the operator. They steer easier if moving instead of stopped. From the looks of it, it looks like a late 60's to mid 70's model. There should be a tag on the fuel tank saying the serial number. With that you can trackdown the year. Price varies depending on location and reason that someone is getting rid of it. A low of $125 to in the $500 range is normal. Ones in excellent condition do go for more though. Oil pressure is the first thing you want to check on one of these. Another thing is the condition of the starter clutches. They are getting expensive. New they cost more than the tractors normally go for.
    Website to check out for alot of info on them. Good luck on your buying one.

3. awdriven

awdriven LawnSite Member

There is a very good yahoo group that discusses these 2-wheel tractors:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gravelyclub/

Hope that helps. I've never run one, but there are still a good number of people interested in them, trading parts, etc.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have seven convertibles with dually wheels and chains. 4 snow blades, three rotary brushes, and 7 spare 48" or so decks sitting my warehouse.

parts are not as easy to come buy. the planetary ($400) is not cheap/easy to replace.

There are great machines...but have their limits. Off of ours are Kohler powered.

5. GravelyNut

Who, us? ;)

Marc:
    As for cheap, no. As for hard to change, no also.The most difficult thing to change, really, is the gear on the crankshaft of the engine
    If you need parts, you might want to look at www.gravelyparts.com if you don't already know about Richard's Lawn and Garden.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

a friend of mine used to use his grandfather's... it looked like that and i'm almost sure it was a late 60's model. i can say one thing about them... they are some field grass mowing machines!

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

well when your oldest mechanic isn't even 30 and has never even seen the things before....its gets interesting watching them be worked on....

8. GravelyNut

:laugh: You mean like when they run into left-hand bolts? :)