Some input please !!! I'm look'n to get something bigger than 21" for home use .

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dead Grass, May 21, 2008.

1. Dead Grass

Dead Grass LawnSite Member

Ok ..., so it takes me about 1.5 hrs to get my lawn done with a 21" sucker and I just can't take it anymore !!!!!!! :cry:

I was at Home Depot recently and what did my eyes come across ?? It was a bright yellow 32" Cub Cadet walk behind for about 1200 bucks !!. ( Angels singing ) :)

I know most of the time cheap prices usually means cheap parts and dependability problems . Soooo..., Is this a good piece of machinery for the price or will I be really unhappy with it in the long haul ?

And then ..., is there other brands out there for roughly the same price and / or just as good or better reliability ?

Thanx for your time !!

2. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a used commercial unit for that price and it will last longer.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen those allegedly homeowner-friendly Cub Cadet 32" walk-behinds at HD too.

They look like they'd hold up for maybe two seasons on the 'home lawn'...but then you may as well bring it along on the 3rd summer as a boat anchor during a summer house boating vacation.

When your 4-day weekend's through, just cut the line !

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Swinging thru Kentucky anytime soon for any reason ?
    Give this guy a buzz.
    He's got a beut of a used mower... a 32" Bunton...for only $500 !!!

Click here :

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184766

5. Dead Grass

Aren't alot of them pretty beat up by the time most people get rid of them ?

I know there will be the exceptions . But the people who originally buy these units will put more hrs on them in one day than I will put on it in 1yr . :)

What are the tell tail signs of a beat on unit so I know what to stay away from ?

Also ..,what are the brand names to stay away from when it comes to lawn equiptment ?

Sorry for all the questions , as I know what to look for in cars but this lawn stuff is a whole new gig for me . :eek:

TAHNX AGAIN GUYS !

6. Dead Grass

Thanx for the heads up bro !!! But that's waaaay off my beat'n path ..:)

7. Dead Grass

What makes them such pieces of poo ?? The motor or the chassis ?

8. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

9. NoMoWeeds

NoMoWeeds LawnSite Member

I saw a Gravely Wide Area Walk 1034 at my local dealer and it looked like a very nice residential unit. They were selling them for $1350.

10. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I would never buy somebody else's "used" equipment even if they state it has been cleaned, maintained, etc. You just don't know what the whole story behind the equipment is (repairs, recalls, etc). The only way I would consider buying "used" equipment is if a dealer inspected the equipment from top to bottom and gave it their blessings. Of course the seller of the equipment will pay for that inspection :)
    This is just my opinion......