Some of the best high hp gas engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 5, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What are some of your pics for a high HP gasoline engine(28 hp and above) Here are some of the ones I'm looking at. 28 EFI Kohler, 30 hp Kohler, 29 EFI Kaw lc, big block Vanguard air and liquid cooled. I kind of like the Toro's but the 28 and 30 Kohlers are the largest gasoline engines they offer and the 30 Kohler seems to have carb problems. The 29 efi was reported by Shady Brook to be a gas guzzler. I don't see diesel as right for me within the next year but if you own one of the above mentioned engines let me know what you think. I believe my next mower is going to be a Toro or Scag unless Exmark gets the Triton upgraded. I really like the Toro deck and I have a small dealer close by but I wish they offered a better large engine selection since I do some extreme mowing at times (I do bi-weekly's and clean ups often). Scag seems to have the better big engine choices but I'm kind of torn between the great reliability of the 29 Kaw which has fairly low torque and the big block Vanguards that I'm not sure about the reliability but have lots of tourque. Probably be next year before but I would still like your input. Lack of a reliable Scag dealer close by also make the Toro a bit more appealing. So what's you take on big engine models, and brands. LC or AC.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Bobcat predator Pro mowers are nice. 26-33 hp generac engines. I was talking to my dealers sales manger from the bobcat distributor the other day and he said they had very good results from the units. He also said (much to my surprise) that he had no problem getting parts.

I might be demoing one of these machines next year if I dont get a hydro WB.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I now have 155 hrs. on my 28 efi and it has been flawless, I love everything about it but if I were you seeing the type of grass you cut I would be trying out a Kubota diesel the fuel economy is so unbelievable it would pay for itself before long. The 23 hp. Kubota diesel burns .6 of a gallon in one hour where one of the big block gas engines probably burns in excess of 2 gallons a hour. Say gas is $2.50 a gallon and off road diesel is $2.00 a gallon, that is $5.00+ for every hour you run the big gas engine and $1.20 for every hour you run the diesel, so just round it off in 8 hrs. of cutting you would be saving around $35.00. I don't know how many hours you put on a mower in a year but that adds up in a hurry. They told me at Kubota that their 35 turbo would burn 1.5 gallons per hour at full load and I'm not sure a mower could load that engine very often with 70+ lbs. of torque. Take the Toro and try them out and let us know what you think.

4. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have 28efi Kohler 600 hrs 2 yrs old . No problems . .8ths gal per hr. My 3rd efi no trouble on any of them. 35h Vanguard 200hrs 7mo. old. 0 problems with engine lots problems with rest of unit . Love the power, about 2 gal per hour. The more HP the better! Had 31 h vanguard with electrical problems . Never could fix it finally got p od & traded it.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 26 hp EFI on my 2000 Lazer, and it has around 1200 hrs. on it, I think. It has been a GREAT motor and is still going strong. I would LOVE to feel the 28 efi to feel the power and performance. I think the power to fuel usage ratio to these motors are just awesome. The efi and more so, the dfi will be the wave of the future.

6. puppypaws

I know my 28 efi is very good on fuel but how did you know it burns .8 gallons per hour, I would have thought it would be a little more than that.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What block do they use for those? Are they the same block as the 25, like they do for the 26 efi's?

8. puppypaws

The Kohler 28 efi is the 27 hp Kohler that is fuel injected.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

25, 26, 27 and 28 are the same block. The 30 appears to just be a stroked (2 mm longer) version of the 25 but it also weighs 11 more pounds so there is something else going on there.

10. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

The 25 hp Kohler is my favorite.They are hard on mufflers though.