Some one asked me about my folding ramps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhardin53, Jan 15, 2008.

1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

We Santa was good to me and got me a digital camera and i just now found the time to post some pics.

This is my custom fabricated 6'4" X 6' folding ramp I made last winter. Plus the front ramp is 60" X 6' folding as well. The right side 2" steel pip on the side of the trailer holds 2 springs to assist both ramps. The left side holds one spring. If you can lift a case of beer you can close the back ramp. The front ramp only has one spring and is not as big big lifts a little heavier.

Still have not finished painting them, but i was going to repaint the hold trailer as soon as it gets a little wormer.

100_0160s.jpg

100_0161s.jpg

100_0163s.jpg

100_0160s.jpg

100_0161s.jpg

100_0163s.jpg

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

looks good !!!

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am concerned about the ramp being able to hold the load of the mower. Are you sure that it will hold?

4. anj

anj LawnSite Member

why did you make them folding?

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

That was hard to read. Check for spelling errors next time. I noticed several.

6. dhardin53

The frame is 1" X 2 1/2" box 14 gage with two 10 gage steel center beam that has a 1/2" cold roll steel piano hinge full length that I made.
    I would say it can load 2 times my mowers weight. Ruffly guessing the 2 ramps weigh 300 pounds. With 3, 1/2 bolts on each ramp the can be removed in less than 5 min with someone to help lift them off.

I have loaded a smaller Bobcat loader that has to weigh in a 2500 lbs, no problems.

If anything id like to have is heavier expanded steel mess flooring but its so high price for the next size bigger (and weight ). My cost for the new steel around $430. plus a lot of others incidentals that i all read had. Was fun to build.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

where did you get that tool box mounted behind the wheels. I need a couple of those to put a few tools in for each trailer.

8. dhardin53

anj: if they was 6" tall not folding they would eat the wind big time and be harder to handle. There just 3' tall, not so top heavy.

9. dhardin53

grass scraper: I found them at a truck parts store. I have 2 of them, there designed to mount on the inside of the truck bed hugging the wheel hump. Works great for tie downs, ropes, tarps, and a small gas can and some tools.