1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

some one told me

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green boy1, Jun 9, 2006.

1. green boy1

green boy1 LawnSite Member

That if I wait until winter or close to i can find better deals for the machines that I want to buy.

Is that true?:hammerhead:

Any comments?
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This could be true in some establishments. But part of your warranty on the machine will spent sitting in the garage and thats not good.
  3. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

Charles probably stated the best advice you are going to get on that. Also if you are a new face, you are probably not going to get too much of a deal in the first place. You'll see how the big dogs get treated as opposed to you, and I guess it's to be expected - how do they know you're coming back for your next piece of equipment.
  4. green boy1

So that means my best bet is to buying around march right so that way I can start right away doing $$$$$:laugh:
  5. eyes&earsopen

What are you trying to buy? Are you already working?
  6. eyes&earsopen

I bought a w/b around the end of July last year and we were in the middle of a 6+ week drought. I was not even up and running, had no intention of cutting last year. I thought I would buy my equipment; practice in my yard and hit the ground running this season. Well through some relationship I built at the dealership 3 weeks later I had about 4 yards. I built that up to 8 and made a pretty decent amount of money without really trying. I didn't even have my own truck, and people were laughing at my 16' trailer. Point being, I was comfortable not doing anything and was looking forward to being ready for '06. It all boils down to how you apply all of this info to your situation. What can you handle?
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

At the start of spring I bought Later's grass and weed killer concentrate for $38 and now it sells for $21. Home Depot pfft..
  8. green boy1

I work self employ in Tile installation but moving to NC and I was doing lawn care 7 years ago and want to restart again wen Im on NC.

What im looking to buy is a Ferrris 1500z whit suspension and a 36" maybe quick 36 or a ultra belt gd, or gravely Pro G 1548 48" from ferrys but the thing is the ferris mower dont use a sulky, or Im wrong?

any way those are my plans for the moment.

I have a 98 chevy 6 cild. and a 6x12 trailer
  9. eyes&earsopen

Sounds like you know more about this game than me - just get out of your own way. I run Ferris too and I know there latest 36" wasn't really meant for a sulky but at the open house the rep said some people were doing it anyway. I look at my 36" and I look at that model and I wouldn't do it, but I'm just in my second year.
  10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

certainly cant disagree there,good advice