some opions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rfed32, Dec 21, 2005.

1. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

how you guys doing...i am curently inrolled in a local community college while landscaping in the summers plowing in the winters...i have to go to apply for class on monday for the next semester...i am thinkin about not going back and takin a run at my own landscaping bussiness full time while keepin my job at the state store a couple hours a week...any ideas if this is a good idea...ive been in the bussiness for a few years and bust my ass all summer and have been doing very well...i am at the point where i am gettin to much to handel with landscapin and school...if u have some opions i would love to hear them...thanks a lot

rich

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

stay in school, finish up. if you don't you will never go back. an education is worth much more in the end. Hire a friend,stranger, amigo, whatever to get through school first.

I ran my business PT while @ school. i graduated and I am now full time. Take some managerial/accounting classes too. You are going to need it!

3. mkjsunscapes

mkjsunscapes LawnSite Member

Hi Rich....Your story sounds all to familiar. Trying to go to college and mow some lawns for extra money. A pick-up truck, a gravely walk behind, and so on. One lawn leads to two and then before you know it you have 20. I don't want to say if continuing college is right or wrong, but I will briefly tell you my story if it helps.........I was going to Moravian College full time/fall semester while mowing about 10 lawns on the side. This worked ok, but by the next spring through word of mouth and a few flyers I was up to about 25 lawns. I did make it to class most of the time, but there just wasn't enough hours in the day to study enough to get the grades I needed. . . . At this point I had to make some kind of change for a few reasons. 1. It didn't make sense to spend that much money to get bad grades. 2. What was I even studying at college and where was It going to lead me? .........Ok, so then feeling guilty about not going to school, I decided to go to the communty college part time and take some business courses to help with my new lawn business. Good idea if that worked for me, but there were still time issues. At this point another lawn season passed and again through word of mouth, a few flyers I was up to 40-45 lawns and had a guy helping me. The business courses would have helped, but I really didn't have the time to study properly. Things were growing pretty quick. Of course I was only in business a few years and had to learn as I went. We made MANY mistakes and always tried to learn from them. On the positive side, every year we did grow, and every year we did make more money. By the 7th or 8th year, I would say we had enough lawns in groups that we could be choosy about price and location of new lawns. We are far from where we would like to be and we are learning every day of ways to be more efficient and more profitable. I guess were doing ok. My wife doesn't have to work and I get to spend all winter playing with my three sons(6,4,and1) except for the days I'm snowplowing...........

I hope i didn't go on to much here........And to answer your question about college, you can never learn to much. Managing your time and your money is soooooo important with building this business and life in general. 15 years goes by pretty quick so enjoy every minute. Good Luck!

Mike

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Stay in school. Go on Monday and enroll. There is plenty of time to scape the land. You'll do much better with an education; theres more to running a business than the nuts and bolts, how to cut grass, drive a plow etc... Accounting, taxes, customer service, advertising/marketing, laws, licensing and most of all...SPELLING. All valuable traits you might just learn in school. Not to beat a dead horse, but it is always comical when someone asks if they should be in school while not being able to write or spell correctly.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Why not try and go to school? If you don't have the time to make it and lawn care is something you plan to focus more on later then you have time to drop the classes without penalty.

6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

so first i wanna say sry to hoskm01 for not spellin rite who is really payin any focus to that in hear...2nd i want to say b4 i send anything out i have 2ppl check it over, 1 my father who does/checks the biz end of the company, and 2 my sister who went to school as an english major to the unv. of pitt...and the 3rd thing i would like to say is thanks a lot to everyone for there opions looks like ill stay in school and at least see how it goes for now...i am going to try and hire a guy to help out this year..thanks a lot...keep the storys commin too i love to hear them

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Rfed,
    Its great that Dad cooks the books and Sis reads your various publications you send out. What happens when you want to be on your own, run things on your own, Mom and Dad retire and move elsewhere, sister goes elsewhere and your left holding the bag? Good choice staying in school, one of the best decisions you'll make.

And donte uhpawlojize four thuh speling, just ficks itt.

Spelling is like playing a sport, you perform the way you practice. Practice hard and you'll play hard. Spell like a champ on the internet and you'll spell like a champ with customers and the like in your everyday dealings.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

an education can never be taken away from you...... go part time if you have too....

9. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, image is everything in our world. Your poor spelling and grammer will project a certain degree of un-professionalism to the public. Not putting you down. I have problems with spelling too. But, I check and correct them myself... so that I will learn. Keep plugging away in school. I've got my B.S. Don't use it per-say, but I did learn how to bullshit and appear educated and distinguished. Image is everything.

10. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

No disrespect intended, but I am laughing my A$$ off! Stay in school and do what all the others have told you. You will be gr8tful in the long run. Best of Luck!