1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Some people are born time wasters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 2, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Jodi takes a call, says that I will be out in the morning to give an estimate. I knew as soon as I looked at the sheet with the info on it, this lady was going to waste my time.
    I pull up, one lady comes out. I see two more peering through the front door. When I look over at them, they duck. I turn away, they peer back at me. Like I'm a circus attraction or something.
    The lady wants recommendations on how to fix her lawn. She comes right out though and says she still plans on keeping her current grass cutter even though he scalps the lawn, and it burns every summer. Then she asks me if I will cut back her ivy.
    I said, "this may sound harsh, but I have enough of my own grass customers to take care of. have your own grass cutter cut the ivy. If you were my grass customer, then I would take care of your ivy." She looks at me dumbfounded. Then I say, "Don't waste my time looking for ideas on how to fix your lawn, when the first step is to fire your current lawn provider."
    Now that the season started, I have tons of these kinds of stories, and Jodi's tired of hearing them.

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you should have told her that you have a $500.00 show up fee,,,,,how would she like to pay?:)
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

:rolleyes: lol And gee, you don't think you could grow grass on a SCALPED
    wide open lawn? I mean, afterall, you KNOW it would be getting watered properly, and you KNOW that it would get proper care once it started germinating.....
  4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i have an estimate for a lasy next tuesday for spring clean-up.

i did an estimate out there last year for the same thing, my brother did in the 2002 season. she literally lives in a forest neighborhood. all the leaves to go along with a forest, no where to dump them. my brother estimated $550 in 2002, i estimated $600 in 2003, i will probably estimate $600 again this year, she has never gone with us. what a waste this is going to be.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What I hate is when you go do a waste of time estimate, you think its over and done with. Then a year or two later they call again, and being in a populated area, I dont usually realize it till i am pulling up to the lawn.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If I were you rather then waste your time I would call her up and bid 600 you already know what the place looks like nothing has changed. Why go out there for nothing shes not going to use you anyway so offend her over the phone and save your self some gas and get your dinner a little earlyer.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

...and these people breed.
  8. Vladslawn

Vladslawn LawnSite Member

I like your professional, no nonsensce, frank, and direct approach to this type of situation. Thanks for sharing the experience.

9. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you're right of course. maybe i'll remember that next year.
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Your estimate isn't till next tuesday... Why would you want to wait till next year to take Kelly's advice???

You know its $600 tell her over the phone......:confused: