some people crack me up!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Apr 12, 2002.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Lady calls today and says i know this is kinda last minute but can you do a full clean-up, (trim, edge, mulch,etc.). i said i'll be out monday and leave you a quote and terms. she says if all looks good i need it done by next weekend, sorry lady were booked till july 4th. she tells me i need more help and hangs up, what the hell is goin on. anybody else out there dealing with people who seem to think your sittin around with your thumb in your A^%. tony
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I agree. Some people do think that when they call, they should be put on top of the list.

But I do think July is a little late to expect that lady to wait around for mulch. At least in our area, most people like to have their mulch refreshed by Memorial Day.

It's good for you though that you are so busy. :)
  3. Kelly Landscaping

Kelly Landscaping LawnSite Member

A customer calls yesterday at 2pm and leaves a message that he needs his shrubs pruned by 3. Someone is coming over to look at the place to buy it.

YEA I'LL BE RIGHT THERE:rolleyes:
  4. Commander

Commander Banned

Customer calls at 3:30 on July 4 saying she needs 10 stumps dug out and disposed of by the following morning. :alien:
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

General, I agree with her, if you are booked full for the next 3 months you do need more help.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are the ones that you can get away with seriously high balling.
    I have a motto on my cork board right now that says.

fast, good, and cheap

I had a person call me late sat night could I come mow right now. I had just finished raining was wet and dark wasn't far away. I told them no. They said they had an open house sunday and had to have the lawn mowed. Any way I went over and did it, and charged them about twice what it would have any other time of the week.
    They paid with out complaining, in cash.
    Said that they had called a ton of guys and nobody would come out.

This JUST happened tonight (friday). A guy calls me on the phone. Wanted me to come look at his yard tomorrow or the next day. I told him that I am busy and wouldn't be able to make it until Tuesday morning. "OK, I will call you later" and hangs up. No patience, besides the grass isn't growing enough yet to even start mowing. WHATEVER.
  7. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we have a customer who does that sort of thing every year. they have an "open house" party sometime every spring, and want us to "spruce the place up and make it look nice"

it usually around april may each year, but never the same week each year she usually gives us about 24 hours notice for this GEE THANKS! well this year she gave us 48 hours notice. we were absolutely shocked. who knows maybe next year we will get 72 hours notice. i won't count on it though.

it is too bad she still hasn't caught the hint that if she gave us a week notice, the job would be 1/3 of the price we always charge her. oh well always smile when we send out the bill for that job.
  8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: kirby, i've been booking work since last dec. i cant help it if people request their work to be done in june and july, my regular customers come first, they have 1st crack at my calender and usually do the same work around thesame time each year. i know in feb. whose getting what and when. tony

P.S., 12 guys on payroll is enough for now thanks, also people should'nt wait until a week before a special event, also many of tthe LCO's around here are booked further than me.
  9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Have to go with KirbysLawn,
    It doesn't matter how many employees you have, if your booked full for April, May, and June you need to hire some more employees!
    You obviously are letting a great deal of business go.

And if alot of other LCO are booked further down the road than you, it's nice to see a area with not much competition!

What do you do if one of your regular customers requests a service, say 15 yards of mulch on April 15th with a ornamental pruning ( they're going to have a party), do you really tell them you won't be able to get to them until after July 4th?
  10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't find ONE good helper. Let alone 12.
    It must be nice to have that much work.