1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

some people just dont get it!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jul 22, 2002.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: we have had hardly no rain for about 4 weeks now except for a stray thunderstorm and with the ground so hard it's basically usless. i have a few people who seem to think that its our fault that they have brown turf, esp. the people who have direct sun all day. i try to explain that we need a good soaking rain and the lawn will rebound nicely. well thats not the answer "your using the wrong chemicals", ummm how come you didnt call me in april and may when we got rain twice a week. it's just so frustrating to hear people tell me my job, just curiuos to how many of you guys have these brain surgeouns for customers. tony
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Wrong chemicals??? Tony, sounds more like drain surgeons, not brain surgeons.

Don't feel bad...all of us have some of them. The job would be too much fun without those idiots. LOL
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Not quite sure what neck of the woods (Jersey) you're from, but we've experienced a helluvalot of fungus this year due to climatic conditions (high heat/humidity). Have made a great deal of fungicide applications. The hardest part is that I don't do mowings, and neither does our applicator, so we try to train the maintenance crews to identify some of the more common fungi symptoms (like teacing calculus to a 4th grader at times). I had a client call me 3 weeks in a row last year because "his lawn was burnt", by the time the crew showed up to mow, the fungus (dollar spot) destroyed the lawn!!

Try to educate your clients, they'll thank you for it later and even callyou if they believe they have a fungus, and/or grub problem!

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I dont apply applications , but i had a customer tell me my mower was leaking on her lawn as to why she had brown spots everywhere.Well we havent had rain in two months and had a drought for a few years.I told her look at your nighbors , which I mow, said see any brown?She says no, I said you need to water more.Now its been raining and its good as new. This was back in May.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Had one call me last week because his lawn looked like a checker board. Said he was watering heavily. I took a look as I drove up and laughed. The lawn had been mowed at 90 degree angles probably a week apart before watering began and all was wilty and stressed. Every tire track showed in both directions. Also loaded with "dollar line" as it wasn't even spots anymore.

The bruising had damaged the turf as well as opened it to disease and it was rampant but trying to rebound.

Unfortunately I didn't have my digital camera that day. I brougght them onto the lawn and showed and explained and all is well. If it doesn't improve more in 5-7 days from when I was there they will have me treat it.
  6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

lol just as I was reading this, one called me and asked why i had killed her lawn!!! it was just down the road so I told her i will be there in 5 min, I walked down her path looked at the lawn it was wilted all the new trees i plated where wilted . so i puled out my set of instruction i gave her when i did the job and just pointed to bold print that says WATER DALLY! she said she did a couple of times so we talked and now i get 20 bucks to turn on the hose every night !! cant beet it :blob1: :blob4: :blob3:
  7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: turfdude, unbelievable, i lve just north of freehold and south of us got hammered for a few hours we had nothing, we got the second wave of storms which did'nt amount to much, maybe 3/4 of an inch. the lawn in ? is def. drought stessed gound hard as a rock and no sign od dollar spot or blight. tony