Some people slay me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am loading my mower on a side street today when this guy drives up and parks next to me. Mind you he is now causing the road to be completely blocked.

Then asks if I am taking on new lawns.
    I reply, yes. Where is your lawn?

Oh, its a couple of blocks over. I have been driving around for the last 30 minutes looking for someone to cut it for me.

HUGE RED FLAG.

So I ask, are you looking or continuing maintenance or just a one time thing.

Oh just the one time. it doesn't really need mowing very often. But I need it done within the next half hour.

My response. Good luck with that. I am a full service company and only take continuing clients. My route is way to busy to be taking on demand jobs.

He looks at me kinda weird and says, oh, you mean you don't want to make an extra $20.

I smile and say, no if I was even to consider a one time cut, the price would start at $75 and go up from there depending on overgrowth.

He hit the accelerator.

The sad part is within 1/2 hour he probably found someone and for $20.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Sounds like we just went from being lawn boys to lawn turds.

If he only knew how much money it takes to cut his "$20" lawn.

3. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I would have just asked him..."Would you cut your own grass for $20?".

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Always get the same thing at least once or twice a year.There lawnmower is in the shop that week or some other good excuse and they are doing me a favor or something by letting me mow it for peanuts. Ya right.

5. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

i know its like let a plumber or electrician or aplliance repairman drive up in their yard; see if they will come over for a mere $20, s#$t my air conditioning went out the other day and it was $75 just to drive up in the yard; plus parts and labor. its like they can charge 50-80$ an hour but we cant. GOOD GOING PRECISION!

6. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I like your style. I'm the same way!

7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

'i know its like let a plumber or electrician or aplliance repairman drive up in their yard; see if they will come over for a mere $20, s#$t my air conditioning went out the other day and it was $75 just to drive up in the yard; plus parts and labor. its like they can charge 50-80$ an hour but we cant. GOOD GOING PRECISION!"

Exactly,the landscaping industry need to catch up with the rest of the nation as far as pricing goes.When we work too cheap,we hurt ourselves and our fellow landscapers.Everything elso goes up,why shouldn't our prices? We are using $7000 plus machines,customers should pay for that! We are already considered to be un-educated laborors,do not make it worse by working cheap. :hammerhead:

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

as i read this im litterally hanging up the phone with a call who just called said he has alot of work and is looking for 12hrs a week out of me. as i start to get excited and wonder how much work this guy actually has. i start to realize he was looking for a highschool kid. i told him id be more than happy to come over and look and even if im 5x the high school kids price, im probably equally as efficient with tens of thousands in equiptment. thinking he understands and that he is giving in he asks, ok how much to come over and rake out the thatch for a few hours by hand. i nearly hung up, reframed, and politely said no thank you

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

20 whole bucks!!!!!! And you didnt do it??? It figures he said that...some people think we're like the kid next door. Look Timmy...a big shiny quarter to mow the yard!

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with your observation 1000%. But if you read some posts on here, some lco's actually want to refund $ to their clients because they feel guilty!!! Other posts, and there are many talk about $1 a minute, but in actuality, it's not even close to that rate with travel time etc... It's a shame but will it change? I think not. I'm doing my part by never ever bidding low, always bid nice and high and won't compromise. It's the only thing I as an individual can do. :)