Some peoples kids....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Mar 29, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

What a jerk this guy is.

He calls me last year and asks me if Im interested in taking care of his property. Its about 2 acres. All mowing, no trimming at all and no blowing at all.

He's an older guy living on SS and disability so I told him $100 for the lot. I took some price off because I wasnt going to touch my trimmer or blower at the property and I thought I was being generous.

I sent out my spring letters to all my customers with the prices of their mowing and at the bottom I let them know if they had any questions to call me before the first mow. Needless to say I didnt hear from him so I assumed all was good.

I got over there about an hour ago. Its my last house on the list today and I knock on the door and let him Ill be starting and to ask him if he had any questions.

He tells me that its not that tall and doesnt need to be cut. I informed him that with all rain we have been getting and the rain we are supposed to get this week that if it shoots up and I have to spend extra time next week cutting it he would be getting charged more. He didnt budge. I told him ok and that I would be seeing him next week. Before I leave he tells me he has a mexican friend who would be mulching all the beds this week so I wouldnt run over any flowers and then proceeds to tell me that he doesnt like the price and he wants me to do it for $60.00.

ROFLAMO yeah right!

I explain to him that if I did it for that much I wouldnt make a dime after taxes and expenses and it wasnt worth my time. The SOB gets mad at me and proceeds to tell me how people like me have been living high on the hog for the last 20 years and we were the downfall of the economy.

Well F him and the horse he rode in on!

I told him to have a good week and I walked out WHILE he was yelling at me.

What a jerk.

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you have to smoke before you get high? :laugh:

3. packerbacker

Apparently 100 bucks worth!

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running in to the same stuff with one of my clients, I think I may have to let her go. She's in her 80's and wants spring clean up, fert w/ pre-m, and some huge shrubs pruned. I think she may fire me if I tell her my price for the stuff. The lawn account with her is decent, but biweekly :rolleyes: . I'm pretty sure she thinks i'm going to do all the listed work for less than $100. I do cut her breaks, b/c I don't have a full schedule yet and some money is better than no money. I estimate the work at her place would be $300 or so. I bet she freaks if I tell her half that price. She thinks I'm just some kid out cutting grass for fun.

5. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

packerbacker,

2 acres, No trimming, No blowing
    sweet heart: you must be nuts............... $100 /mow

i get 2acres for $65/yard
    takes me 30 minutes..................

gravely pm 260z, diesel & gas 60" cut thats all i use period...........

6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know wally world, 100 bucks is what i'd be cutting it for with out weedwhacking or blowing. I think that right on the dot, i'd be doing 120 for 2 acers with cutting and blowing. You should consider raising your prices before you can't fill your tank.

I don't know prices may be differnt over there in the USSR. Wait does the USSR even exist anymore? specify your location better.

7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

$100 for those 2 acres is a fine price. We mow a lot that is almost an acre for $50. It take us 30 minutes to mow and double cut it. We'd charge $100 if it was twice as big. We don't have any blowing or trimming on that property either.

8. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

I get the same thing alot of times when doing estimates..especially from older people. they seem to want 1970 prices.

Alot of it has to do with the lowballers working for half a year and quitting...then another set doing it...then another set doing it..then another set doing it..then another set doing it..

9. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

When people tell me they dont like my price, I tell them thats my price and if they dont like it, they can cut it themselves. I only get rude with them if they are rude with me. Actually had a lady today in her early 60s about die on the spot when I gave her the estimate for a cleanup. No one did a thing to this property last year with regards to leaf removal and had two trees fall down over the winter creating an ungodly mess of sticks. This cleanup does not require removal of the trees, just the sticks that have broken off, bed cleanout, you know, the usual. 1.25 acres, this is a 4 hour job minimum, oh yeah, rock cleanup on road frontage from snow plowing, I tell her $180 at least with my rate of $45/hr on cleanups and honest to god I thought she was going to die. My prices on cleanups are right in line with others in the area and unless the fly-by-nights come along and do it for cheaper I think I will land the account but man I litterally thought this lady was gonna keel over in front of me. She had no idea it would cost that much or take that long. I mean, she had one large maple and one large oak fall down and countless amounts of sticks and debris and not to mention the leaves from the fall before.

10. packerbacker

Im not that nuts. I have 2 other churches that are about 3 acres total that I get $ 295 for. Again its barely any trimming and blowing.

Ill say it again and again and again...

All you guys who think Im crazy...move to a different part of the country and you'll find out quick that your prices are way to low.