Some pics

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Feb 14, 2014.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I started a job this week where about 20-30 acres of cedar (juniper) was sheared and dozed. Trees range from 6 inches to 20 inches. It's really more than my mulcher can handle but the big machines were 6 months out and were unwilling to do a site visit. I decided against the chipper for the initial recycling because the terrain is rough and I'd still need to pull some of these trees out of the piles and cut stumps off.

I went out for a day and pulled apart some of the piles and have my helper cut off the big root balls. Got rained out and had too much wind today but hoping to go back and start mulching tomorrow if weather cooperates. Some of the root balls were big and full of dirt, sand and rock so I didn't want to try and mulch them.
    Will probably take 335 out for some of trees that are pushed down into the ravine. Really starting to think I need to buy a bigger machine either a mulcher or small horizontal to feed with the 335. I turn down/refer a lot of this type of work just because of the size of the piles/trees. Burning around here has been unpredictable with the winds and the drought plus there is just so much volatile fuel on the ground.

Owner is hoping to get some grass to grow eventually so anything I do to reduce brush/slash and make an eventual burn safer, he says he will be appreciative.

20140225_132151 (640x360).jpg

20140225_100018 (640x480).jpg

20140225_132330 (640x360).jpg

2. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

What area of Texas are you in YellowDog?

3. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Texas Hill Country NW of San Antonio

4. 711SnoPro

711SnoPro LawnSite Member

That's quite the mess the dozer left behind. What will you do with all the slashings and whatnot after you grind them? Assuming spread them out over the site to decompose?

5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I figured as much. I'm originally from San Antonio. I lived in Bulverde for 10+ years.

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Depending on how long you've been gone, you wouldn't recognize Bulverde.. I was just over there. Subdivisions everywhere and right up to Camp Bullis.

7. YellowDogSVC

from TX

If i can make it safe to burn, I think he's going to burn the shreds and use some for erosion. I'd like to haul some off for my place.

8. JeffH1

JeffH1 LawnSite Member

Love it! Great thread and great work YellowDog! Keep the pics coming! I'd eventually like to do more small excavating like you do.

9. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Love that 750! What are the specs on your current chipper?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

The 750 should be a 770 in another year or so and maybe a CTL if all goes well. :weightlifter:

The chipper is a 2003 BC2000 w/loader. Cummins 200 hp, 20 capacity (will do a little bigger) and about 12,600 lbs.

I'm actually kicking the idea around of selling the chipper and just mulching and doing tree work/driveways and some excavation.