Some pricing questions... aeration & overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't done much in this area and would like to. Trying to get some #s to go by.

1. Aeration alone. What's a fair price? Lawns are 1 - 3 acres... Do you lower the rate for 3 acres vs 1 acre?

2. Aeration, overseeding & starter fert. Same as above...

Does owning an aerator change the numbers?

Thanks for the help!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Fair Market Value will obviously depend on your geographical locale.

As far as 1 to 5 acres I would charge per acre the same.

The price of the service would mainly depend on what size unit you would be using vs. whether or not you own it. Is it a tow behind or walk behind? What is the hourly production? What is the terrain that you will be servicing?

Kris

3. Lawn-Scapes

Kris,

Thanks for the response... I understand what you are saying about fair market... I can tell you it's upper middle class. Let's just say I will be renting a 36" - 40" walkbehind for the time being.

I'm trying to get a general idea... I hope it's not a secret.

4. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Buy, don't rent.
    And, I don't think you will see a walk behind that wide anyway.
    I own a Jacobsen vertical coring machine that is 30" wide and that sucker will work you like a WB tiller on some soils.
    As for charging, start your figures by using .02 to .o3 per sq. ft. for aerating and add .01 for seeding and .01 for fert. The aerating figure could be changed if the area is fairly large and you are able to go in straight lines for longer times. Just have to use your judgement on that.
    I know of a couple of guys around here that bought the Lawnaire units and paid for them in a few weeks just from the aerating jobs.
    Cleve.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks for the reply Cleve.

Are you serious...

Like I said.. Everything is an acre or better.

So to aerate, seed and fertilize one acre, at .03sf it would cost the customer $1290. WOW People pay this?

I'm not sure of the exact prices and amounts but, if I did rent the aerater at $55, about 4 bags of seed at $300 and 4 bags of fertilizer at $50. That's $405 for product leaving $885 in labor for (I'm guessing) about 4 hours... That's incredible!

6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

TSG, we are charging in the neighborhood of 28$-30$ m/sf depending on terrain and so on. We arent always the cheapest guy but thats ok, we dont want to be, i think for our market here we are right on the money for what the market here bears, good luck!!!

Rich

7. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I'll stand by my figures but with some variables. And, I'll ask you the same, "are you serious about the total acreage?"
    I have a good customer whose home is on 2 acres. Problem is, his total lawn coverage is only about 12,000 sq. ft. I will spend about 3 hrs. working on that lawn to aerate and seed/fert. it. And be really tired after that (mostly from walking behind the spreader). Are you talking about a real lawn that covers a full acre?
    I almost never charge less than .02/sq. ft. for the aerating. Give me a nice flat open area of close to an acre and I might drop the aerating figure a little. Base it on hourly rates maybe.
    Cleve.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Yes sir... lots of real lawn. Properties are large here (farm country). In fact, going to give an estimate (cutting) for a 3 acre lawn in 20 minutes (wish me luck!).

I hope you didn't take my "are you serious" comment the wrong way. If that's the going rate... I'm pleased!!!

Thanks again..

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

POWER RAKING:
    I would think somewhere along the lines of $875.
    $610 for the machine - $265 for the labor to clean-up the debris

AERATION:
    w/o seed - $308
    w/ seed - $572 (service: $308 + seed: $264)

Hope this helps.
    Kris

10. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks Kris... But I like Cleve and Rich's numbers better :)

I got the account!