Some questions from a Newbie.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Stimey29, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Stimey29

Stimey29 LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

As you can tell from the title, I'm new to the business (very new) and I've been reading the threads here in order to get an idea what I'm getting myself into. My friend and I are considering starting a new business, primarily consisting of mowing lawns and mulching to start. With that in mind, I have a few questions I was hoping you might be willing to assist me with.

First: Are there any requirements for aquiring a state licence for becoming a landscaper? I see there are license requrements to become a Landscape Architect (at least in PA), but it seems to me that entails design as opposed to strickly maintenance.

Also: I am looking for an all-in-one small business management software to manage a customer base, track work orders, create invoices, etc., etc.

I have surfed around sites for Quickbooks, and AvailSuite and a few others, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone....I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Stimey29

2. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're serious and you wanna be totally legal, you can go to this website to register whatever company name you desire (providing it is not already taken) with the Pa Dept of State for legal purposes and the Dept of Revenue for Tax purposes. The total fee is 70 bucks for a sole proprietor - not bad.
    http://www.paopen4business.state.pa.us/paofb/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=441248
    In Pa, you are required to collect sales tax for most landscape services. Also, I had a tough time finding liability insurance but I finally found an Erie Agent to insure me - 264 for the year for 1 mil in coverage for someone with no previous professional experience. That's amazing, I think others will agree.

3. Stimey29

Stimey29 LawnSite Member

Good Information. Thank you Ecoscape....