1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

some 'rookie' observations..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, Nov 13, 2007.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I have made these observations since doing this type of work (1 1/2 years)- (A) Leaves are 'hard' work - and double hard for 54 w/hip getting replaced in 3 weeks. (B) Lawn vac's help but ain't worth a hoot when 'self propell' isn't working and bag nears it's limit (C) vac seems to pick up leaves better if not mulched first? (D) big varience in what customers want/expect..as well as paying fast and not fast. (E) Stay away from customers wanting their 'hay field' mowed because 'other' guy left mid-season (D) many more observations, but lastly- You guys earn every penny! point blank!, and even thou it is hard work..It sure beats those 32 years in a brick factory with 'one' window that opened (and GOV said caulk it shut-germs) and might ad temp ranged from 95-125 in there with smoke filled halls. - What a change..wish done years ago. Geno
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the lawncare "club" Geno.
    Good luck with that replacement surgery. Hope you're out kickin leaves again soon.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like your learning fast Geno!!! some of us find we're born to work outside. I never have to be rocked to sleep any nights. Good honest hard work . I love the smell of fresh cut grass especially in the cool season!!! its a sickness I know
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait until you get some years down the road, when you're that 'other' guy, I assure you the interesting observations never cease. :laugh:

First the methods improve and then the rules evolve, but in summary it does get better with time.
  5. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Man, you are really preaching to the choir!!! We all feel pretty much the same way. We do work hard, yet we enjoy it. There is a simple satisfaction to what we do. There is no better feeling than looking back on job well.
    Good luck with the surgery. Hopefully, you'll bounce back quickly. Getting old sucks!!! I find myself waking up to aches and pains that I never had before.