1. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Well I got my 100 tons of salt today, it only took one hour to haul the whole car load to the shop with the three trucks.It doesn't seem like as much as I thought but it is most certainly enough.Would hate to have to move it all by hand thats for sure.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... and I thought my 5000-lbs. was a lot.

3. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Glad to know you got that done; let me know if you want to get rid of some of that.

4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey if you need some, you can get in your TRUCK and buzz up to diggermans and get some, and your in luck this is pure salt and it will corrode concrete just jiffy quick,so you'll give something to do in the summer.

5. Alan

Alan Member

How much is salt costing in that quantity out there?

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We went through 225 ton this past week alone.

Alan.... we're paying $34 per ton delivered to our warehouse in tri-axle load quantities.

7. iowastorm

from Iowa

2 cents per lb.; not a bad price. Talked to Dig last night, I ran his numbers and I believe he got it for the same price.

Dig; unfortunately, I won't be able to use your salt. This is because one may not spread salt without the proper additive,Magic (drop to knees). Sorry.

8. Alan

Alan Member

Damn, we're getting hit $60/ton up here, picked up at the distributor. Granted, we're further from the source, but our distributor is a major agent for Cargill in VT/NY/NH and is buying in multiple carload lots. I've heard rumors of being able to buy out of Canada at $45, delivered but I've never been able to track down the source.

9. iowastorm

from Iowa

Dig; I've got a cart that hitches to the back of my Wheelhorse lawn tractor; do you think I could haul a few tons with that?

10. Snow Pro

Snow Pro LawnSite Member

I got a guy quoting me $30.50 / ton out of Chicago. Someone asked me if was white or blue salt. Does it make a difference? Is one of them the one that corrodes fast like Diggerman was writing about?