1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

some sparks from battery....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by alex_kuttner, Dec 20, 2004.

1. alex_kuttner

alex_kuttner LawnSite Member

Hey I ran out of fuel again anyway I bleed the air out, by that time the battery was pretty flat, I was gonna turn it over one more time before I jump started it, I turned the key and got the sound of sparks and a little smoke, it's coming from the positive terminal on the battery any ideas? could the starter motor be causing this, I didnt move the battery or anything it was fine and then it wasnt :confused:
  2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Was connection good and tight?
    Might be arching slightly if it wasn't.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what Im thinking , a slightly loose connection and that heavy draw and lower voltage caused it
  4. alex_kuttner

alex_kuttner LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the help went a checked it and it was a little lose tightened it up and it fired right up thanks again for the help.
  5. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Glad you found the problem. As a side note; This seemingly simple item can cause your battery to explode! Keep those connections tight.
  6. earthwerks unlimited

earthwerks unlimited LawnSite Member

CCW: Don't you mean it could expode while being charged if 1.) There is sufficient out-gassing due to charging and 2.) If there is sufficient spark?
    Under normal operation and conditions if a spark does occur in between the clamp and the terminal chances of explosion are minimal if not nil. I have had a battery blow up but that was due to an over-charging regulator.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I seen the hood on a car get pilled back like a sardine can once. This man was trying to start his car and just kept grounding on the starter again and again. I was watching this wondering how long the poor starter was going to last. Then "boom" the right front fender and hood pilled back. The police was about to call the bomb squad until they see it was the battery. Hydrogen gas had built and something set it off. Now this happened under heavy discharge. So I am saying a car battery can explode while charging or discharging either one if the conditions are right.
  8. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Amen to tight connections, I have had several batteries blow up over my years, some from over charg ing, a couple from welding sparks as they sit on a charge board, and one when jumping, any time that there are useage and temprature change and the fumes or gas is coming from the batt. vent there is danger of an explosion. This is not to be taken lightly. It is a very and real situation. So Take care when handeling batteries and any thing that makes a spark. Been there done that.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I used to work at a tire store a long time ago. We pulled a Lincoln in to replace the tires and do an oil change. When we went to restart the car the battery blew up as soon as the key was turned. Fortunately the car's owner was right there and said if he hadn't seen it he wouldn't have believed that we didn't screw something up.

Also a friend of mine had a battery that had been sitting for weeks blow up in his face from his cigarette when he leaned over to pick it up.
  10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My grandparent's lincoln battery blew up once right after they started it...interesting it happend to you too!