Some Sugar in Your Gas????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mathproshs, Jun 9, 2004.

1. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

Ok...this is really ticking me off...I was so exhausted last night that I left my stuff on the trailer last night and the thieves hit the trailer and just took the gas.

My plan of action...I am setting up a video camera out of the window to tape all night has a infrared mode...want to catch these a#$-h*&^s as this is the second time it has happened. Also, will include a brand new container of gas with a little sweet stuff for them as bait and wait a few hours before I call the cops...just to make sure they run it a while.

For those of you that are having stuff stolen...and for those of you that have trailers...I am suprised that you do not have GPS tracking systems installed on them so that they could be located within minutes

2. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Mathproshs,

man that sucks, I hope you get the situation resolved. i've been reading these posts and it never really hit home till I see your location in elmira, being based in vestal that is pretty close and will make me step up my precaution level.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew with the gas prices soaring that it would be just a matter of time before we started hearing about stolen gas... I hope you catch them.

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Sand is also a good substance to put in there. That will teach them for GOOD. :-D Buy diesel fuel if you're going to mess it up, its cheaper anyways:)

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Might want to just lock up the gas, it would suck if you forgot which can you put the sugar in, of if one of your friends or family members was just trying to help out and dump the wrong gas into one of your machines.

Another consideration, as hard as this is to believe, when I was younger and living on a farm a neigbor that had been loosing gas on a regular basis, juiced up one of his tanks with either water or sugar. Local kids stole some of the gas one night, did damage to their vehicle, and the parents ended up taking the farmer to court, can't remember who won, however I know the farmer was out some dollars to hire a lawyer.

6. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

yea that was my first thought. this is a sad sad world... robbers suing the place they rob cause they get hurt, gotta drag em inside the window if they fall out when ya shoot em, etc.

litigious society.. hmm, i think i am going to sue my company because the management ran it into the ground!

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i would not recomend putting a foreign sub. in the gas. if the plan works and they do take it and ruin whatever they put in, they are likley to return the favor to you down the road.

just lock it up and be done with it.

8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why I always bring my stuff into the garage after everyday..

Doesn't matter if I'm tired, or not.. I always told myself that I will bring it in..

It's better to take extra 30mins to unload, then to lose stuff and go out and buy stuff for $20-100..

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts exactly. I had a couple of cans stolen before I got smart and started locking them up.

10. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thankfully we live in a neighborhood that seems sheltered from acts of crime...knock on wood....but if it ever gets to that we have a camera and a motion detector that goes off if there is movement. The motion detector is portable and sometimes I keep it in the truck or on the trailer for when I might be working in back of someone's property. If it ever goes off I will be on someone like white on rice. :)