some walk behind questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Dec 8, 2003.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

hey everyone, i just finished my first year of lawncare and i'm interested in purchasing a walk behind. i have a few questions to be answered before i buy. 1st. what brand is the best for your buck? 2nd. whats hours are reasonable for a used walk behind. 3rd. what size cut should i get? 4th. what price range should a used one go for, and last how are they on hillsides? would i have to buy special tires or what. i appreciate everyones response. thanks.

LawnWizards:drinkup:

2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

What types of properties will you be using the machine on?
    How large are the properties?
    Flat, Hilly?
    Gated?
    Wide open, or lots of obstacles?
    Gonna walk? or want to ride on sulky?
    Is this gonna be your only mower?

Give a little more info so we can help more......

3. lawnwizards

for the most part we'll be using it on our residential customers, most are flat, some have fences, not a whole lot of obstacles. right now were using two self propelled mowers. plan on still using these for small yards, just want a bigger mower to get the larger yards done faster. i'd like to get some commercial properties too. and definitely a sulky. i'd rather ride then walk anyday.. *lol*

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to get a hydro walk behind if possible. I would get a 36 if gates were an issue, if not get a 48 or larger. There are many great manufactures out there, just demo and find the dealer with the best service. Walk behinds excel at cutting hill, there are few hill that are too steep. I would also purchase a velky to put behind it.

Adam,
    Lovell's Lawn Care & Landscaping

5. lawnwizards

also, is there a difference between a sulky and a velky

6. LLandscaping

A velky is a type of sulky that is made by Wright MFG. Velkies come in one-wheel and two-wheeled versions. I prefer the one-wheeled type.
    http://wrightmfg.com/

Adam,

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want massive productivity, you should look at the wright stander. Believe it or not, but the 36 stander will out produce a 48 walkbehind.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advise Adam. Oh Yea, why do you prefer the one wheel velky and how are they on hills?
    Just curiouse

9. LLandscaping

The one-wheeled velky is smoother in turns and when it comes time to trailer it or walk behind it just lift it out of the way. It also has more pivot points to allow it to easily go in any direction. It does good on hills, I use it about 95% of the time.

Adam,

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yes, and that one wheel "leaves" middle line on every lawn it rides on, offsetting all of your beautiful stripe that you WB has painstakingly done. I have never seen sounthern lawns without middle line of that one wheel velke, to me, the 2 wheeled sulky is the "only" way to ride let aone stability and beauty. (Think of Benhur, it is 2 wheeled version).
    Get two wheeled version, i.e., jungle wheels or bullrider or Velke x2 and your stripe will stay intact! Beauty is nonnegotiable.
    regards,