Some Work I Did

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TBLC, Feb 7, 2006.

1. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

I Just wanted to see what you guys and gals thought. This is the first job of this size for me.

I charged the owner $300.00 + tax. Do you think I, Under, Over, or Did Ok on the pricing? He paid, and every thing is fine. And I did make a profit. Just wanted to get your opinion.

I Trimmed up the shrubs, mulched, deweeded, fert, edged, and disposed of derbis. It took 2 guys 5 hours. That is the cheap mulch.

These are the before pics.

2. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

After pics.

Hope you can see them

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Its certainly a big improvement, but i hope that $300 was only labor and you charged for materials also?

$300/10 hrs = $30/hr - mulch - ferts - disposal = ?
    I think the HO certainly got a good deal
  4. TBLC

TBLC LawnSite Member

Then I guess he GOT A REAL GOOD DEAL. That was everthing. O well, Live and Learn. Next time will be different.

Thanks for the reply
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree big improvement.

I can't see how you figured you made a profit though at $30 per hour (300/5=60/2=30). The total cost of running a fully legitimate business would not support your claim of turning a profit IMHO.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Nice looking job you did. Should have got more money though. Thats ok though because everyone has made the same mistake.:)
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sure was an improvement! It's amazing how bad things can look and a good trim and weeding can make it look totally different.

I was thinking the same thing... $300 would have covered the weeding and trimming and the labor for spreading the mulch, but not the mulch itself. I'm just guessing that the mulch cost $75 or so?
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, it does look nice. Good job and a better learning experience. I'm sure the HO is happy considering you worked for free. Next thing you know all of his buddies in the retirement community will be calling you and expecting you to do the same for them.
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Nice!I agree about the price also_One thing I see wrong is the mulch along the hard edges is going to wash out after a rain.If you'll use a shovel to bevel the edge near the concrete,you'll create a trench to help hold the mulch back,using the concrete as a retainer.Also,the tree in 009 looks to have too much mulch built up around the trunk.Just something to remember next time.
    I probably would have came in around $500-$600 on that one,judging by the amount of mulch used.
    Great job though.
  10. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

Really looks nice but you really need to look at your cost of running your business. You did that job for about half price for sure. I am certain that you will have LOTS of work in that neighborhood but you will only be fooling yourself about running a solid,long-lasting, and profitable company. Don't underestimate the value of the quality work that you obviously are capable of doing. Best of luck to you.