Somebody Please Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Apr 25, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

I just signed a new client, and he wants me to reseed a portion of his lawn for him. I sprayed it with roundup to kill out the few weeds that were in it, and measured it out at 20' x 55' or about 1100 sq. feet. So what do I do now? I've never reseeded someones lawn before, but I couldnt turn down such a big job. The dirt is not too bad, but its also not a good topsoil. Kind of a dark sand, and its already been rototilled. Can anyone please give me some idea on the procedure I should use, and how much I should charge?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I wont give you the blah blah blah that you will probably get if this post stays on top.

Take a soil test to see what you are working with.
    Rototill the yard rake it up spread a good topdressing, seed, fert,and ,cover with straw and water water.

Or if the soil is good you can slit seed.

3. new2thebiz

Thanks for the tips.

Do I just use regular straw, right from the bales, or does it need to be shredded before I put it down?

How often should the seed be watered?

And, really!!! $2000 for only 1100 sq. ft.

4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

how did you sell him the job without a price?

5. new2thebiz

He signed up for a yearly mowing contract, and wants me to do the reseeding too. I havnt sold him the job for sure yet, thats why I'm trying to figure out what all I need to do so I can come up with a fair price for him. I told him I would figure out the cost of supplies while we are waiting for the roundup to do its thing and give him a price when I go back to mow again on monday.

6. larz

larz LawnSite Member

Condition the soil.
    Most straw has WEEDS in it.
    Sub contract it to a Hydromulch outfit, make sure they give you a RESALE price, & WARRANTY their work.
    Mark up 20-50%
    If you want to do it yourself INSIST on sod instead.

7. hole in one lco

Most seed has weed seed in it to so what do you do know.:p :D

8. hole in one lco

yes straw from a bale
    ones its wet it needs to stay wet

9. new2thebiz

thanks again guys,
    Just one more question, approximately how long should this job take me? Like I said, its already plowed up and there is no grass and weeds in it. I guess all I need to do is prep it, place the topsoil, seed, rake it in, and put straw down.

10. BRAD2723

BRAD2723 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Straw does have weeds in it, you may want to consider using peat moss, if you want to cover it. Slit seed, i know some companies charge 100 per thousand square feet.