Somebody throw a bucket of water on me. I'm fuming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lee Homan, May 14, 2001.

1. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Mowed one of my customers yard friday and his neighbor came up to me and wanted to know what he could do to improve the appearance of his yard. Well, it was obvious that he had been out trying to do some landscaping himself and didn't know a thing about what he was doing. It looked like sh%@. So, I advise him on the proper placement of some mulch beds and some other areas that needed mulched and he says ok, give me a price and tell me when you can do it. So I give him the quote and tell him I can get to it today(monday). Well, I almost went and picked up the supplies this morning but I had some yards to mow and I wanted to do them first so that I could use my trailer to haul the mulch. Well, I get done mowing and went back over to this guys house to double check everything before I go buy the supplies and what do you know the job's already done, and guess what? It's just like I told him I would do it. I stood there in amazement. I could not believe it. I knocked on the door but nobody answered. I'll see him again since I'm over there every week and let him know how I feel. Man, I was fuming. I guess I'm lucky I didn't go buy everthing first. I think I'll start requiring some kind of deposit up front before I do a job like this again.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You better make that a non refundable deposit on your jobs, in case you get one like this again and wants their deposit back after they do the job. What a bummer, you should send him a bill for the advice. ;)

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I like Eric's idea. Send him a consulting bill. You'll never see a check, but he'll know your ticked.

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

I'd be mad as HE-LL too. People like that are nothing but sponges. He probably did it himself or called someone to do it immediately. I'd let him know that in no uncertain terms that his yard and the horse he rode in on can can go to HE-LL :angry:

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What happened to kindly advice...If you set up a landscape job make sure you get a deposit first. I understand where you are coming from, but alot of problems can be solved by us before they occur. Be proud that someone took your advice and made their lawn look better.

6. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

I'm sure he did the work himself. If he would have just been honest about it in the beginning I would be ok about it. I wouldn't even mind giving him some suggestions and him do the work himself but to lead me on and give me the go ahead to do the job that's what ticks me.

7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I see the roundup bombs being loaded as we speak! Its getting so that even the homeowner is cutting you out money much less the competition. Lesson learned.

8. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

well i would go with the grass seed water baloons .fill up a baloon with grass seed then fill with water and do a drive by aiming for the mulch beds. nothing like grass groing in nice new mulch

9. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

send him a bill for the materials that you were going to buy!!!!
    At least make him think you bought the materials to do the job as requested. This will at least make him contact you again, that way you can state your case!

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Such professionalism on this site :( (seed ballons and roundup)