Someone do me a favor..

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

ShinDog.. I don't quite understand what you are saying. Is this something that he may have changed as recent as today? It has always defaulted to the index page.. unitl tonite.

2. ShinDog

ShinDog LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Exactly. At least that is my best guess (not knowing any more details)

Run this by him - he should be able to see where the issue lies.

You / he didn't recently rename the file from index.htm<h>l</h> or something did you?

3. Lawn-Scapes

Not that I know of..

Maybe I'll try changing the file name and resaving it. See what happens.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Just change the name of your index page to index.html. Most browsers when they look for the index page, look for the .html pages, not .htm. htm is an older syntax, you should always use .html for web pages.

If you try /index.htm at the end of www.lawn-scapes.com, you get your page. Type in /index.html at the end, you get that coming soon page. Is that coming soon page on your site somewhere, an old page? Try getting rid of that as well.

5. ShinDog

ShinDog LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Looks like the server responds to /index.html first. (which is the Coming Soon! page) He may have re-ordered the list. An easy one to fix. And I agree, an excellent site!

6. Lawn-Scapes

I just changed the file to html as you suggested. Same result. Thanks for trying.

7. Lawn-Scapes

I can't remember if I had the "coming soon" page before I built the site. I don't see any files anywhere.

8. Lawn-Scapes

It has to be something on the server end. I just deleted the index page and the our services page and they still load. So something isn't right. I guess I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and compliments. It took me all winter 2 years ago to build the site in note pad.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Try emptying your browser's cache and then try again. Sometimes pages will be cached and not actually reloaded each time.

You need to rename ALL your pages to .html, as well. And don't for get to change the links, then. I'd get rid of those underscores in your page titles, as well. It's not necessary, and can be confusing for people who try to type the web address in. ourservices.html is fine.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Tom.. I just deleted all files, cookies and history with the same result. Thanks.

I'm tired right now so I'll try again tomorrow. Good nite. :sleeping: