Someone else mowing your accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Horsepower Lawns, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

Two times now I have had customers want me to mow for them but someone else is mowing the lawn.

The first one is a building lot that the new (yet to be built) home owner has to keep mowed till the house is started. I mowed it once, then every time I went by someone else had mowed it. I let the owner know what was going on, but they can't find out who is mowing it. The homes on each side are still being built so its not them.

The second one is a person with their house here for sale, they live in a different state. I went to mow for the second time and someone had mowed it a day or two ago. I just sent him an E-Mail to let him know what was up and see if he still wanted me to try to mow.

Any of you guys have this happen?

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Just beat them to it. Estimate how often they are mowing it and when they are mowing it. Get out their in the early morning.

3. Horsepower Lawns

I have a 8am to 5pm job so I can't. :(

The lot was once a month and the lawn is every 2 weeks. I can't run by every day and check.

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL let them mow, you send the bill. Done deal.....

5. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

I had this happen to me once....I had five properties back to back in this neighborhood and one was cut consistently. Asked the homeowner what was up and said it would be nice to have some notice or at least an eff off phone call. They said they had no idea who was cutting it.
    It was still being done the next time so I sent her a bill for the entire month when I hadn't cut it at all for wasting my time since she was under contract and stopped cutting after that. No loss for me I ended up getting the entire block except for this one house. So I had to laugh.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

dont you have contracts.....

7. ChadsLawn

Or maybe you were just hired, and the customer forgot to fire the other LCO?

8. Horsepower Lawns

No contracts.

The lot never had anyone mowing it and the other one did say he was only paying $25 each cut, I told him $30. So ChadsLawn may be right about it.

9. ChadsLawn

Are there anymore homes around(close by) that people live in? If so ask them if they have seen someone mowing. If they have ask what day. Or if they know the co. name.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

why no contracts.....it stope this sort of problem before it becomes one....