Someone expressed interest in starting up and told me the going prices

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Typical yard 80x130 going price: $1100-1300. 4 zones. I had a talk with the guy and tried to explain to him that it is not worth it to do installs at that price and told him if he was stuck on irrigation that trying to build a service company might work out better for him. What would you guys have advised.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

At $ 1100 to $ 1300 for a 4 zone system I would tell him not to give up his day job . When i started in 1981 , 25 years ago 4 zones would have been
    $ 1600 to $ 2000 . Today that would be 3 grand . Now pricing is regional , but equipment , supplies , trucks and fuel dont change that much .

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Although, down here, we are about $500-$550 per zone. Still, 4 zones turns his $1300 into $2000. $700 makes a big difference in a days work.

4. Flow Control

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Those are going prices? Where? (going down the tubes, I'd think) - but if it was Florida, that might not be so horribly low. Down there, just go for service. Be a tech for someone as long as you'd need to gain the needed job experience to start out on your own.

6. I talked with a guy who moved here from Florida and he said the going rate was about $300 a zone and he was happy we are getting $500-$600 a zone here.

7. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Sorry, but there is no such thing as the "going rate" it's an urban myth.

8. Flow Control

Let me say it in another way:

3 Jobs all the same size lot

1. 1100
    2. 1100
    3. 1300

This is a guy that currently does fencing. So he asked the last three owners what they had paid for the system.

9. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Wow that's pretty low and I know the material pricing is the same down there, with all the pricing increases in materials this year that seems really low, but, you could do three a day if they are four zones.

I wouldn't believe a homeowner, they don't like to be told they overpaid for anything.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've been in SW Florida, and flew home with my carry-on full of Marlex elbows, given how much cheaper they were compared to locally, at the time. Service would hold the most potential, thinks I, given the market saturation, and the natural shortage of guys what fix things.