1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Someone needs to winterize!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rvsuper, Nov 27, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

There is this business down my street that collects all the pop cans from schools, town, etc. that had their sprinklers running at 8:00 PM last nite. It was about 14 degrees, and they were running. I called them today and they said they thought the maintenance man did it, but obviously not. I said to them I would winterize it for them for $75, being a little out of the winterization season now, and raising my price a little. She said, no well get it taken care of tomorrow ill call maintenance and we will get it taken care of. Anyone else think it's too late to have your system running up here in Iowa?
  2. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

Up here any winterizing past Oct. 15 can start to get risky, Call them in the spring to see if they need pipes or heads replaced.
  3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just a few minutes east of Philadelphia, PA. Our avg nightly lows hit 30 deg about the end of Nov to the 1st week of Dec. According to the records of The Weather Channel your about a full month ahead of us and reach avg of 30 deg in the first week of Nov.

So that being as it is, I aim to get my jobs done by the end of Nov with a few slipping into to the first week of Dec.

We always have a few frozen backflows to defrost or wait for a warmer day. I've found that if people turn their water off in the house the units usually freeze and defrost with out a problem. Those that leave the water on and more sneaks in behind as it freezes usually area a good revenue source. ;)

In ground pipe is usually safe even under those circumstances.

Historical avg can be found at weather.com, then history & avg tab above the daily forcast. Select the month and you can view by day.
  4. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

lets talk price $75.00 is more than normal for you???
    I get $90.00 for each blow out more for pumps...
    What is everyone else getting?
  5. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

The guy that does almost everybody in our town gets about $25.00. He isn't a newbie either, he's been doing it for atleast 10 years.
  6. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

All I have to say is "why":dizzy: :eek: :dizzy:
  7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We get $60 per blowout...$90+ for commercial

Wish we could get $90 for residentials up here.

The average around here is $50-65 from what ive heard
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

$55 for residential. Some guys do it for $25 here, some go $65. I do go higher if its above 9 stations

$90 for commercial. This doesn't include apartment/condo complexes.
  9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

$57 1-9 zone residential
    $68 1-12 zone residential
    $3 extra zones over 12

Other systems are by are by pump size or water meter size.

2 horse or 1.5" meter $75 + $7 zone over 9
    5 horse or 2" meter $95 + $8 zone over 9
    over 5 horse or 3" meter $130 + $10 zone over 9

Some large stuff I custom price to equal about $65/hr incl travel. We have some municipal park and athletic field jobs that take hours to do and some even require 2, 185cfm compressors at the same time to deliver enough air.

I book 12 residential per man per day when we're infull swing, which is good money. This year we had lots of no shows which hurt. Sometimes 2 per day per man. Although $ are good when we're full, the last week or so is 7-8 per day so $ are sub avg.
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I try to book minimum 15 a day the first 2 weeks. Did a high of 25 in one day this year. I group them by neighborhoods and quite often have many on the same street or in a row. I try to never set up a time with the customer. I tell them to shut the water down and I will come by and blow it out. Most our resi systems in our area don't have large mainlines, if any, or satellite manifolds. Most manifolds are in one place. Hook up to PVB or RP and open 2-3 valves at a time. Occasionally I need to meet with the client and it screws up my whole day. I can get very far ahead of my schedule or very far behind. And having to run to their nieghborhood can kill me with down time, especially if I have to wait.

Although my price when asked is $55, I do lower it for many longtime or elderly clients. The lowest is $35. One landscape comp. has me do all his winterizing. I do his for $45. I get about 80 from him. Total this year was 250. And I've turned down appx another 15 the last 2 weeks because I turned the air compressor back to the rental shop on the 15th.