Someone stole my headlights today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YardMeister, Sep 20, 2004.

1. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

Today, when I was unloading my equipment after a hard day of playing catch-up after the storms here in East NC, I noticed that the head lights are gone off my Walker. I don't use it all that often, mainly when I want to catch everything instead of mulching it.

I didn't notice the lights gone before, and don't really leave the equipment sitting alone unattended. It was on the trailer all day. Anyway, they took both lights, the wiring harnes right back to the plug. Nice clean job. I just can't figure out when they took them, or how they did it without me seeing anything.

I jumped online tonight and placed an order for more of the same lights, with the harness and brackets. What a pain, and they are not cheap!

:angry: :dizzy: :cry:
  2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible they could have been taken before today, but you never missed them? It really sucks when you get ripped off. If it was something left laying around like a tool you left behind at a job, then maybe it's understandable. Taking something off a piece of equipment is ballsy, no? Maybe you need to add something to make it harder to remove. Make the wiring harness removable and only put it on when you have to?
  3. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Of course you have already thought of this--who would want Walker headlights but a Walker owner? And who would likely be able to quickly pop them out and know where to unplug them but--you guessed it--a Walker owner?

And what low-life lco who runs a Walker, works the same neighborhoods as you? (Although if you were parked on a busy through street, it might be an lco you normally never run across) You might even ask your Walker dealer if anyone has been asking about/pricing lites lately.

If you think of the answers soon enough, you may be able to look at a dirty Walker and see the dirt rubbed off in certain places to show the lites were just recently put on.

At that point, it's your call--police, or home-made justice.
  4. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Just a thought but maybe put some identifying marks on your new lights.....if they get stolen again you could tell local dealers to be on the lookout for them or to check other walker mowers as they come in for service....I have to agree w/ the earlier posts....probably done by a walker owner.....but then again lights are lights and they may show up on a totally different brand mower...but I'd imagine that would stand out like a sore thumb.....of course it would be helpful to have some Identifying marks on them too.....Sorry to hear anout the theft....Hopefully it won't happen again.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Stealing a man’s headlights is just plain wrong. The only bright side I can see is at least they didn’t steal the mower. Remember to keep that equipment locked up!

6. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

I was totally torqued about the situation yesterday. Today, I'm over it and moving on with the day-to-day business. I think that I will tack weld the new lights though, right at the nut that holds them on the bracket. It should be easy enough without causing any harm. They won't be coming of again without some serious work.