1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Someone tried to steal my rig

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Richard Martin, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I know they were in the truck because they didn't shut the door all of the way when they got out. All of those items you listed were right there for the taking. I'm pretty sure they were after the big prize.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Heck, if they'd have taken the handhelds and tried to pawn them, they would have gotten caught. ID is required to pawn and they don't take stuff in that doesn't have serial numbers. I have all of the serial numbers for everything written in a book here.
  3. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

that's a smart thing to do. I have the serial and model numbers in my truck, in a file cabinet in my house office, and on my computer.
  4. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

Metal file and craigslist...just sayin'

Nuthin' beats a lock and a glock....cept maybe a Barrett
  5. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

touche' ............
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest start to secure your wallet and your cell phone and all items of that nature, that is what they are usually after, they'll end up ditching the phone and likely the credit cards, this rash of theft has hit our area too, all they usually take is the cash.

Have you checked inside your wallet?

It is common for them to leave things mostly as they were found.
    You think you still have all your stuff.
    But the cash is gone.

This is the reason why you shouldn't carry large amounts of cash.
    I don't carry more than $20, and if you know what's good for you neither should you.
    The more cash we carry, the more we put everyone else at risk.

I doubt the thieves care.
    Might scare them.
    But they still don't care.

Better off keep your eyes open and shoot FREQUENT look sees in your truck's general direction.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^ I do and would advise all to do this ^^^^^^^^^^
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Beat me to it......
  9. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky you came around the house. Good advice from Herler, check that your credit cards are there. I lock my vehicles any time I get out of them. I'd rather deal with a hot interior than have my stuff stolen.
  10. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thefts like the one that almost happened are crimes of OPPORTUNITY. Why give anyone an opportunity? Lock your truck, keep the windows up and more then likely they will move on to the next one that's unlocked with open windows.