Someone tried to steal my rig

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Richard Martin, Apr 18, 2013.

1. SoGro

SoGro LawnSite Member

Yeah here in Jax FL trailer thefts on the rise. Saw on the news it is something like 90 trailers stolen in last 5 months. I lock all my equipment and the trailer hitch, but I still don't like to run inside anywhere to eat or even get stuck in a backyard for too long. Its sad, hardworking guys getting ripped off.

2. Wright Lawn

Wright Lawn LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

Even better, I drilled a hole in the trailer, put a lock on the trailer and a lock on the hitch with grade 70 chain. :usflag:

3. Wright Lawn

Wright Lawn LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rock Hill, SC

Now that's a good idea

4. Whippit96

Whippit96 LawnSite Member

I just hope you're man enough that if your GPS is ever stolen you go tell those "neighbors" to be on the look out because you were too scared to use your own address.:hammerhead:

5. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny just input the address of the police station near you!

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

7. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I have an idea (should patent it first :) ) , but what about drilling a hole through the jack. One with the jack lowered and one raised. Same hole in the main part, just two in the "leg". Then u put one of the straight hitch locks in there and they can't lift or lower the trailer to hook it up. Couldn't be a big hole tho cuz u dont want to waken the jack. I'm sure they would still take if they wanted it, but a pretty good deterrent. IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually set my GPS to a wooded lot not far from home. When I got it I was doing lots of bank Repos in often questionable (at best) neighborhoods. Always figured if they wanted to take my truck and trailer, and were willing to risk their life and or freedom to take it, I'd rather not have to kill them. And I'd rather not give anyone, car thief, car jacker, or petty smash and grabber directions to have another go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JohnsonLawnTreatment

JohnsonLawnTreatment LawnSite Member

Someone tried to steal my trailer out of my house yard and I chased them with a bat. Needless to say they never came back but boy could those guys RUN!! They were fast:usflag:

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a little confused. Did they leave their truck behind?