someone trying to get a cheaper price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenClips, Feb 23, 2006.

1. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

what do you if you quote someone on there lawn and they say that they don't want you to use a trimmer. you ask them why and they say that they don't want to pay the extra.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

That has happend heck deduct 10 bucks or what you think always blow the clippings.

3. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

If the house is in a sub don't do it.;) It's really tough to build a solid reputation when people drive by and see a half completed job. Also if you plan on hiring any help (and only have one mower) you'll have a guy sitting around on that account as there won't be any trimming. If you need the money go for it, if not I'd say skip it; just a headache in the long run.

4. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I would definitely not do it, whether you need the money or not. The long term effects just outweight the short term effects of the money rolling in. You might lose alot more work (b/c others will think thats normally how you work) that you wont even know about if they drive by and see you doing that. And persoanlly speaking, whenever I drive by any lawns that dont trimmed, it bugs the crap out of me.:hammerhead: It almost makes me want to pull over and tell them not to do it at all, if you have the grass cut but the edges along the beds or anything else that needs to be trimmed is 2 feet high.

Ron

5. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have had this happen to me a few times and I usually ended up knocking the price down a couple bucks and then (because I can't drive away unless it looks proper) do the trim & blowing work anyway, for Free. Over time though, I learned that the customer that wants to only pay for a quick knock-down sloppy lawn is not a customer that I want or need. I refer them to a competitor that will do as little "lawncare" as they desire. To each his own.

6. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

I operate the same way when approached about "just throwing down some mulch". I explain that the difference in their cost to have a job edged and looking great, versus a sloppy mess of thrown-down mulch is well worth the money in what the property looks like. If they don't agree, I refer them to someone else. Any potential new customers seeing that sloppy mulching job has no idea that they were instructed by the homeowner to keep it basic. It is not worth taking on that kind of work.

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If you are trying to attract lower end clients, and I mean basement clients, go for it. If you want to build a reputation, run from it. How long do they expect you to let the weeds and grass grow up beside their house, garage and ornamentals?
    Run, run as fast as you can.:hammerhead:

8. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

I tell em to go pisss up a rope and go on my way...

9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a lady in a sub div. that got pizzed because i trimmed her fence line. she was like" now the dog can see the holes under the fence and will get out " i let some one else have that job.

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I let them know that I my basic service of mowing, trimming, edging, and blowing is exactly that... my most basic service. I can't build a solid reputation with only doing half the work needed to make the lawn look presentable. If they don't want to pay for basic service, I don't want to service their lawn.