1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Something a little different

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Aug 28, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

These pics are a little different for here, and a little different for us. It's been nice doing something different than pavers and srw. As nice as some of the stuff is I see from everyone, CG, Kootoo, McKee, Matt, etc. sometimes it just seems as though manufactured stone is manufactured stone no matter what you do with it.

Round New England Fieldstone wall and clay pavers. The thermal granite steps are because customer wanted smooth and consistent steps with lots of grandkids. I think an antique granite from a foundation or dam would have been better.

The clay pavers were kinda necessary to match the existing patio which I tried to sell a rebuild on, but they liked the old sorta look it had.

We've basically been here on and off since March. we started by clearing the lot, stripping and screening the loam, installing the tennis court (all subbed), the stone work, plantings, orchard trees, irrigation, and fencing. We still have an English garden to design and install

2. GreenMonster

from NH

3. GreenMonster

from NH

A few more pics of the orchard trees. 6 apples, 3 sour cherry, 3 peach. $6k just for the trees. They're beauties though.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good. I wish more people posted pics!
  5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Lookin good Coolio.........although I wish you took down those dead pines in the back of the court before you started. Did I tell you that our tree division just bought a $190K crane to help you out with those beauties??? I've only seen it once but it's pretty bad azz...will reach like 140' or somewhere close to that with the jib on.

By the way sorry I haven't called lately to come over and play at your house my bride's hormones are off the f'in wall lately given that boy of mine in her stomach. For some reason tonight I did absolutely nothing to help her and she thanked me for putting a glass in the sink and said she sppreciated all the help I had given her. She wasn't even being sarcastic!!!

Go figure
  6. GreenMonster

from NH

and I thought you were a crazy beatch!

Yeah, those dead pines aren't on his property. But uh, last week, he insisted that a few of them go because he feels they are a safety hazard.

Would have been nice to mention it BEFORE the court was installed.

Oh well, bring in a crane, send him the bill, and it'll all be good.

BTW, I just saw the veneer thread.... made we wonder when the hell you're coming over to help me with the columns at my house??? I don't want to hear any pregnancy excuses. I mean sh!t, I know you ain't carrying the kid, you just had your period last week.
  7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

very nice stone walls,fit together perfect. not to many people can stack-em up and keep them straight
  8. GreenMonster

from NH

Thanks, but I don't know if they're perfect.

It's very difficult stone to work with. It's called New England Fieldstone Round, which essentially means any friggin rock of any given shape was on the pallets. Watermelons, bread loaves, grapefruits, and then triangles, and chunky stuff as well.

The history of this house goes back to the 1700's, so we wanted to do a complete NE fieldstone drystack. I then think we kinda defeated the purpose with the thermal granite.... oh well.
  9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Stop whining about that thermal granite. If you don't like them chisel off the sharps edges of them to texture them a bit and tint them up. It's not too hard to do. I do know what you mean though...that granite is so bright when it's new. Someday I'll show you how we "age" granite...it works okay if you take a bit of time with it
  10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I like the stone work....straight edge of the bench is a nice contrast. Each to his own though. Wish it was my backyard ....but where is the pool.