Something is eating the fish!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by scmel04, Jan 2, 2006.

1. scmel04

scmel04 LawnSite Member

A few days ago I noticed a rather tall bird hanging around by my pond...it has really long skinny legs and it is white/grayish in color. I saw it stick its head in and eat a fish that has been in the pond for years! I never saw it before until now, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is and if there is a way to deter it from eating my fish! Thanks in advance :)

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I believe you have a Herring(sp?) I live in the middle of the 6th largest city in the country surrounded by a desert and we have those and raccoons that eat the fish. And Javelina and Coyotes too. Its a jungle out there.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yep Im not sure on the spelling but Az Gardener is on the right track I think

4. scmel04

scmel04 LawnSite Member

thanks guys... at least i don't have coyotes :p

5. scmel04

scmel04 LawnSite Member

i did some more research and i think it's a heron or an egret... thanks for putting me on the right track

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure the laws governing that species of bird, but he will keep fishing your pond till its no fish left

7. scmel04

scmel04 LawnSite Member

i know... i'm tempted to let the fish go and keep it clear. fish cost too much money to keep getting eaten by pesky birds! :blob4:

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Just give them someplace to hide, under plants or rocks. Don't have any lights in the pond on at night unless you are enjoying the fish, no need to give the critters an advantage.

9. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

It is a Blue Heron, and they are protected birds. Now that it knows the ponds there and with dinner floating around good luck trying to get rid of it.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup.... here we go.............
    This is down the road in the swamp where I live....

P6030047email.jpg