1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Something I've never seen before

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterit, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Cemetary we do control work for took a lightning hit, wiped out 33 solenoids, 2 mini-cliks, and one of 2 Hunter PSRB's. Didn't touch the ICC's.

Replaced all the solenoids, re-ohm from controllers, still have 7 zones dead. So we hook up 521, and all 7 track perfectly from field to controller and vice-versa. But still show dead when ohming.

Found a looped common, cut it apart, and discovered that BOTH sides of loop had to connected to get a reading. Have never seen that before, makes no sense to me, should be able to get a reading from either side if truly looped, or at one side if not.

Headed back there today to do some digging and try to find where the problem lies.

Anyone have any thoughts on the common thing?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You probably want to try that fault-locator thingy. I used to follow defective cables their entire length, even though they had intermittent faults that would kill the zones.

3. Wet_Boots

Did you ever use any of the 'grounding planes' or whatever it was that the CadWeld folks called them?

4. Waterit

By fault-locator thingy I assume you mean an A-frame, aka pulser, aka 901. Good thought, but there are so many utility lines run through this place that the 901 (or its operator) got tricked 4 times today into following an electrical line for site lighting.

I've never used cad-welds or grounding planes. To the best of my knowledge, neither did the genius who did the original install.

I located a place where the wires cross a roadway and then split in different directions. Think I'm going to dig up and cut in there, and then test in all 3 directions. Guessing that the fault lies on the common.

5. Waterit

116 views and only WB has weighed in.

What's a guy gotta do to get a little ad-vice around here?

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

7. Waterit

OK, OK, I'll take a number and get in line.:nono:

May I point out that your problem has generated 16 pages of posts, and you're no closer to finding the valve?

I just want to know if anyone has ever encountered the issue with the common before.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

No...............

9. It may be over my head. But having said that I'm confused by the 901 following utilities. If you have accurately tracked your common and marked it the fault finder should only be probing the 521 path you have laid out for it. Also are the 7 non workers on the same part of the common? It sounds like you have a grounding fault that the 901 is going to have to find for you. I agree the problem is in the common. Also is it possible this problem predates the lightning?

10. Wet_Boots

Try the tracking with a lower output level. Harder to follow, but you may detect a fault that stronger signals will leapfrog.