Something some may be interested in... Good job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LynyrdSkynyrd, Mar 30, 2004.

1. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I did this type of work for a few years.
    If you live in an area that contains Rail Road property within a city limits. Some of you guys may be missing out on some good money.

The city can and will get onto the likes of CSX and make them bring the property up to codes.

I have made up to $1500.00 just to mow an acre of RR property. One job in SC paid $35,000.00 to mow it and it took 3 weeks to get the job done.

The kicker was. If the inspector called CSX three times in a year to cut the property it paid the same. I mowed the site in SC three times in one year and made $105,000 just for nine weeks of work. For awhile cleaning up RR property was all I did. Until I got tired of the traveling for I bid on jobs all over the Eastern US.

To bid on a job such as this. You must show proof that you.

Are Licensed to operate a business
    Pay worker comp on all employees
    Have at least a One Million dollar liabilty insurance policy

Once you go to the site and go over what the city inspector wants done. They usally supplied you with a map with the area outlined. You submit your bid.

If you get the job. You must then take photos of the site (trash piles , weeds, etc) before you do the work and another after photo of the same area. Have the inspector approve the work and sign the paper work and mail it to the RR's head office. Then you they will cut you a check.

I must say that it may not all be mowing. You may have to remove some trash, old tires, etc. So a tip for this type of job is to include the cost of land fill use in your bid for such things.

So for you guys that live near in a city with some over grown or negelected RR property. It may pay you to vist your cities code inspectors office. They make the citizens comply and will make the RR's do the same. And if you are in the right place at the right time. You can make some good money.

It may not be for everyone. For you have to watch closely where you put your equipment due to RR ties, Old Track, garbage, etc.

I am not spamming anything here. Just passing along a small secert that let me offically retire at age 42. :)