something that Everyone may miss when giving a bid...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcgreenspro, Apr 14, 2008.

1. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I recently picked up a common area job around my house. I bid it based on looks and how much time I thought it would take me. Man, I walked out to the first part of the property this morning and it looked like a trash truck overturned. Oh well, I thought, it's next to a major road....wrong. Every area I went to today had some form of trash whether it be new (sitting on top of the grass) or old (buried beneath the weeds). What should have taken me not even 3 hours ended up being 5 1/2. I hauled out 6 30 gallon trash bags and triple cut every area (grass was very neglected).
    All in all, it's a lesson learned that I probably will never forget.

2. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

been there....never ending trash...

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Give them a price for installing some nice trash cans. Then give them the hard sell.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Yeah, I hear ya. The amount of trash that I saw, I just couldn't believe people cared that little about their surrounding's.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Also, never take on a customer living next to a store that sells lottery tickets.

6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll have to store that in the back of my head.

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

well here was my problem with that. I already had the yard and THEN teh state instituted the lottery :hammerhead: I have one across the street that sells them and one two doors down on the same side of the road that sells them. Freakin lottery. Wish this governor and those idiots in Nashville had a lottery ticket up their @$$!!

8. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

I once priced a clean up, had viewed the yard, looked fine. I went to do the cleanup a few days later there was trach all over like a 20 x 20 foot section on the side of the property. I spoke to the client, who was on their deck and asked what happened? They said that they had a bear get into the trash two days ago ang had not had time to clean it up, but since I am now there they were not going to worry about it. I did the clean up and mowed around it... then the wife looked out and asked why I left it, she figured I would clean it up. Istated that I am happy too, but that is an additional charge, they did not want to pay it, so i got what they owed me and left. That was that...

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you about the trash. One property that I maintain, by the time I get from the front to the back and back again there is already trash again. It blows my mind because it's a pretty upscale neighborhood.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody needs to pay the " stupidity tax"